Tools: Cake pan with rack. One large knife for chopping and several small knifes. Pam.
Ingredients:2 extremely large boneless skinless chicken breasts (almost small turkey size)
2 slices of prosciutto
4 slices of Swiss cheese (about 3 oz)
3/4 cup Bread crumbs (I used 2 old low carb biscuits-2 carbs each)
1/2 cup flour (I used a low carb type)
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp olive oil
2 T butter
Instructions:1) Oven to 375 convection.
2) Heat a small skillet on high with the olive oil. While this is getting hot, run the biscuits through the food processor and make bread crumbs. You could just use bread crumbs if you are not trying to keep carbs down. Coat the skillet with the oil and add the bread crumbs and brown them ( not a lot)
3) Mix the flour, onion salt, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl. I use breading pans from William-Sonoma. In a second pan/bowl separate the egg, keep the white, toss the yoke, add 1T water and whip with a fork. In a third pan/bowl place the browned bread crumbs.
4) Prep the stuffing. Mince the shallots. Dice the cheese and prosciutto together in 1/8-1/4 inch pieces. Toss together with the shallots.
5) Prep the chicken breast. Pat dry with paper towels. Trim the fat. Lay a breast on a cutting board. Cut a slit about 1 1/2 inch long and deep into the thick side of the breast. Expand the pocket to extend into most of the breast. BE CAREFUL not to put a hole in your pocket..
6) Spray the rack and cake pan heavy with pam. It won't help the cooking but makes clean up better.
7) Assembly: Stuff the chicken breasts. You could use a toothpick to close the pocket but I didn't and had no leaking. Dip in the flour mixture. Coat both sides and shake of the excess. Dip in the egg wash and then the bread crumbs. Place on rack. Melt the butter in a microwave and drizzel over the breasts.
8) Place on center rack of a 375 convection oven. Insert meat therommeter and cook until 180 internal temp. About 40-45 minutes.
Well it was NOT a disaster. The wife said to repeat it any time I want.
Some thoughts. First the breasts were huge. The two of them filled the cake pan. If using a more reasonable size breast, there is enough filling for 4 breast but you will need about 50% more bread crumbs and another egg white. Second, use a better Swiss cheese about 3-4 ozs should do. The prosciutto is a waste of money. I would use some deli ham and use about as much as the Swiss cheese.