The conversion from our old high carb diet to low carb involved dealing with our pizza “addiction”. We were poor planners of meals so many last minute decisions leading to a lot of ordered pizza. Plus we liked it. Many suggestions are floating around in the low-carb community. Hamburger crusts- very disgusting, cream cheese/ egg concoctions with many steps that are highly prized by the inventors and followers, etc. You are getting the point that pizza just won’t be the same but we can make it something good for what it is.
For the crust, we now use Flatout Flat Bread. At only 6 net carb for a large single size pizza, it tastes good, is cheap, available at our local Meijer’s and seems to last forever in the fridge. We did use low carb tortillas but they are thinner and a little harder to use.
With a little planning, this can go real quick. Tonight I got home at 6 pm and we were eating fresh homemade pizza by 6:20.
Tools: oven pizza stone, large skillet
Ingredients: (For one single size pizza, multiple as needed)
1 Flatout Flat Bread or large low carb tortilla- of course you can do the higher carb ones if you want
1T vegetable oil
Toppings of your choice
- ¼ lb Italian sausage-browned
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ¼ Chopped medium size onion
- 18 pieces of pepperoni
4 oz mozzarella shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 convection with the pizza stone on a center rack
2. Large skillet on high heat. Add oil. Brown the Flat bread/tortilla on both sides slightly. You are just firming it up to keep it from falling apart with the sauce and ingredients. When done, place on a large wooden pizza peel that I pre-floured.
3. Spoon on the sauce and spread. I add other ingredient in the following order: sausage, onion, 12 pieces of pepperoni, green pepper, mozzarella, and top off with your last 6 pieces of pepperoni.
4. Transfer to the pizza stone.
5. This will cook rapidly in about 10 minutes.
Comments: I had everything already in baggies from last weekend so that is why it went so fast. Without the pizza stone, use a large ½ sheet pan sprayed with pam. This will take about 15 minutes to cook.
Variation: Four Cheese White Chicken Pizza
Just a change in toppings: Eliminate Italian sausage, green pepper, pepperoni and pizza sauce.
1 T Butter
½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup diced chicken
1-2 oz each of feta, white cheddar, mozzarella, and shredded parmesan
1 Plum tomato - thin sliced (about 1/4 inch)
1) Melt 1 T butter and add ½ tsp garlic powder. Spread over the crust like sauce.
2) Now add the topping: ½ cup of diced chicken, thin sliced plum tomato (about 1/4 inch), 2 oz each of feta, white cheddar, mozzarella, and shredded parmesan.
Note: Pictures are from a later baking of pepperoni only. I was out of sasuage that night.