If I’m going to the dark side (health wise) I might as well go all the way. In my Healthy Blueberry Buckle recipe I cranked down the fat and simple carbs and ended up at about 150 calories per serving. This is almost double that due to the real butter and sugar I used. The technique varied enough to warrant another post.
It’s hard to say I will repeat this frequently because the caloric content and it is a “seasonal recipe” but boy is it good. A great company recipe.
Notes: The oil in the butter was noticeable with mild change in texture but I really don’t prefer one over the other.
Tools: 9 inch nonstick round pan but you can use something else properly coated. Three mixing bowl, a large, 2 medium.
1 1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t table salt
1 T cinnamon
4 T unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used non fat dry reconstituted)
1/3 cup AP flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 t cinnamon
2 T soft butter
1) Preheat oven 375 not convection.
2) Mix dry mix together well in a large bowl, except butter and sugar. Chop butter into 1/8 inch cubes then cut into dry like you would butter into biscuits. Then add sugar and mix will. Set aside.
3) Mix topping in medium bowl and using a fork to cut in butter until all the
flour and sugar incorporated and granules are small.
4) Combine “Wet Mix” in a medium bowl. Mix well with fork.
5) Combine wet with dry. Mix with large spatula folding carefully.
6) Fold in blueberries about 1/3 at a time, again being gentle with dough.
7) Spray 9 inch round pan with Pam. Spread bladder evenly and then spread topping on evenly.
8) Bake in middle rack for about 40 minutes until toothpick returns clean. Remove and let rest for 30 minutes.
3 cups blueberries rinsed Dry Mix1 1/2 cup AP flour1/2 cup whole wheat flour2 t baking powder1/2 t baking soda1/2 t table salt1 T cinnamon4 T unsalted butter 3/4 cup sugar Wet Mix 2 eggs1/2 cup buttermilk (I used non fat dry reconstituted) Topping1/3 cup AP flour1/3 cup sugar1 t cinnamon2 T soft butter
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings
April 20, 2011