I wanted a health kiddie meal that their mother (or father or who ever) could do over and over. For the mother, I wanted a simple cook that used ingredient that can always be on hand, have minimal prep and cook quickly. For the kids, it must taste great.
I started with skinless boneless chicken breast and cut them into nuggets. I used egg whites as the base and then bread crumbs with Parmesan. A lot of taste there.
Notes: Use what ever bread crumbs you have. Some Panko will add some extra crunch. Flavored bread crumbs of course will add some special flavor. I suggest about 1/3 Panko and 2/3 regular flavored crumbs. Making your own bread crumbs would also be a good option.
In a second shallow pan, mix 8 T total of bread crumbs with 2 T grated Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. I used 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
Bread crumb note: use what you have but 1/4 to 1/2 being Panko will add some texture and crispy taste. Also I like some Italian flavoring but your choice.
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts trimmed
- 2 egg whites (or 1 whole egg)
- 8 T bread crumbs (any combination of Panko or regular, flavored or not)
- 2 T Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 375 convection (400 regular).2) Prep a baking tray. I always line with foil for clean-up. A rake gets will make the nuggets crispy all around. And then a good spray of PAM.3) Rinse, pat dry and trim 2 medium skinless boneless chicken breast (about 1 pound). Cut the breasts into nuggets about 1 1/2 inches each. I got 6-7 nuggets out of each breasts4) Whip two egg whites or one egg in a shallow pan or bowl. In a second shallow pan, mix 8 T total of bread crumbs with 2 T grated Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. I used 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Bread crumb note: use what you have but 1/4 to 1/2 being Panko will add some texture and crispy taste. 5) Put the chicken in the egg mixture and stir to coat.6) Move the nuggets individually to the bread crumb mixture and coat well and place on the rake. You could use a large baggie here and shake them in the bread crumbs instead.7) Give them a light spray of PAM to prevent them from drying too much in the oven.8) Bake until golden brown and the thickest is 165 temp about 15 minutes.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 16 nuggets