This will warm you to the bone and please your taste buds, this slow cooker version of one of my most popular recipe Southwest Chicken Chili.
It was a cold week here in west Michigan and we had some “most go”… some peppers, a jalapeno and some chicken breast that would soon be freezer burnt and I really don’t want to do another freezer burnt chicken recipe. So the chicken chili was a good choice. My wife missed the previous batch she I wanted her input also.
My previous version was in a dutch oven and involved cooking the chicken first and then using the oven. It was really good but I wanted to simplify the recipe and a crock pot is just the right thing. No precooking for me. I also modified a few ingredient and gave you some options.
A very strong 4. If I didn’t have so many other really good chili/soup recipes, it would be a 5. We both had seconds two evening in a row and then my wife finished it for lunch. I guess it was alright.
Notes: You need beans. To me chili always has beans. I used two cans of cannellini and a can of black beans. Use any combination you want. I used a 10 oz can of Rotel to replace 2 cups of salsa in the other recipe. My wife has never been a salsa lover. It is chili, you are not wedded to a recipe.
Optional thickening: I used Masa to thicken the chili some. It works well and adds a bit of corn flavor. Or you could add corn starch, flour or just leave the lid off the crock pot the last hour.
Trim and cube (about 3/4 inch) 3 skinless boneless chicken breast. (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs).
Cut your veggies. I used a large yellow onion, a green and a red pepper and a jalapeno.
Add all the ingredients except the optional masa and water. You can rinse the beans if you wish and it may decrease the sodium some. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Thickening Option: with 20-30 minutes left in the cooking you can combine 1/4 cup masa flour and 1/2 cup of water. I used a Tupperware gravy mixer but a bowl and whisk would do.
Mix your masa mixture in well and let finish cooking.
- 3 Skinless boneless chicken breast about 2 lbs or a little more
- 2 green or red peppers diced
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 -14 oz cans beans (2 cannellini 1 black)
- 1 - 10 oz can Rotel
- 1 - 14 oz can chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 1 T Chili powder
- ¼ cup masa flour
- ½ c water
- Trim and cube (about ¾ inch) 3 skinless boneless chicken breast. (about 2 to 2½ lbs).
- Cut your veggies and prep garlic (crushed or minced)3) Add all the ingredients except the optional masa and water. You can rinse the beans if you wish and it may decrease the sodium some.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Thickening Option: with 20-30 minutes left in the cooking you can combine ¼ cup masa flour and ½ cup of water. I used a Tupperware gravy mixer but a bowl and whisk would do.
September 28 2014