Power to the people… BBQ for everyman. Melt in your mouth tender with a wonderful smoky taste and only about 5 minutes total work time. A never failed recipe we have used for 35 years. The ultimate KISS recipe. What could be better?
I had planned this to be the second post EVER on my blog since it was the most common thing we were asked how to do. Well 186 posts later I’m finally doing it. So many brisket recipes call for many spices. Grills. Smokers. Or even a pit. And the results are dry, tough, tasteless and ever worse, a LOT of work. I’m lazy. No mopping for me.
Absolutely a 5. The leader for recipe of the year. And now replacing my previous personal favorite of Memphis Pork Tenderloin.
1) You can do this with a “flat”, a “point” or whole brisket. It can be fresh or frozen. (Not corned… dah). Just adjust the cooking time. The end point is the important part.
2) While on the subject of the end point. It needs to be “fork tender”. This is when you insert a large fork and it goes in easy and slides out easy. The meat will hardly move. If you don’t “get it” about fork tender, the internal temp should be 190 to 195. NEVER UNDER COOK THIS… a little too long is better than a little short.
3) To be a “correct” brisket sandwich in our family, it must be on white Wonder Bread and have Gates BBQ sauce. Proper assembly of the sandwich is as a double decker with sauce on each layer and sauce on the plate for dunking. Feel free to do what you want but this is the recommended method of consumption.
4) A note on liquid smoke. Be sure to read the ingredients. It should be water and smoke. Not a bunch of chemicals.
5) Be absolutely sure to cut cross grain.
6) I have done this for parties several times serving 25 to 50 people. You can cook several days ahead and just reheat at the time. If you cook about 1/2 lb per person you should be about right. Add a little more to be safe and have left overs. 3/4 lb if they are piggies. 1 lb per teenage boy.
6) A special thanks to Peggy who was our secretary in KC 35 years ago that taught us the true KC way.
December 7 2013