Listed as the top Mac and Cheese by Alton Brown in Food Network’s “America’s Best: Top 10 Comfort Foods”, Zingerman’s Roadhouse in Ann Arbor is a local tradition. We’re off to AA for football tomorrow and my daughter (and wife) loves this mac and cheese so I though I would give it a try. Zingerman’s actually posted the recipe for this one so no guessing and I really tried to follow the recipe. The changes were those you may need to make for convenience, no raw milk cheese around this area and a different pasta.
I snitched a little to rate it. I’ll get more input tomorrow.
Notes: The recipe went well. I had no whole milk but I added the right amount of cream to skim milk as a sub. The cheese and pasta was substituted as stated above. I used my All Clad pan for the final step and really couldn’t brown this as directed. Although the recipe doesn’t state it, I think something like a large cast iron pan would be better for the final step. I will use the 12 inch chicken fryer next time.
Tools: Nothing special- a large cast iron pan as stated above would be nice.
2 T sea salt
1 lb macaroni – your choice
2 T butter
1 small diced onion
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 pound cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 t sea salt
2 T Olive Oil
1) Cook pasta according to box instructions with 2 T sea salt. Drain and set aside.
2) In a heavy sauce pan melt butter over medium heat then add the chopped onion and bay leaf. Cook until onion is soft and getting transparent. About 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
3) Slowly add flour to onion over about 1 minute while stirring continously.
4) Now slowly add the milk while stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Now add the cream in the same manor. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickening.
5) Reduce heat to medium. Now add the mustard, 1t sea salt and the cheese. Stir well and continue to simmer (only a few bubbles) for about 5 minutes.
6) Now add 2 T olive oil to a large pan and heat until oil is starting to smoke. Add pasta and cheese mixture and stir until about 15% is golden brown.
1 lb macaroni – your choice2 T sea salt2 T butter1 small diced onion1 bay leaf2 T all-purpose flour1 1/2 cups whole milk1/4 cup heavy cream1 pound cheddar cheese1 t Dijon mustard1 t sea salt2 T Olive Oil
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings