This is a simplified version of several slow cooker recipes that is not only delicious but extremely simple to make. Like most of the soup/chili/stew recipes, I’m “cooking for two with leftovers”.
Notes: I left the mushrooms out of my version of this recipe. We have food allergies in the family so we never do mushrooms. I have listed them as optional. There was also a suggestion to add a drained can of diced tomatoes if you want a tomato based stew. Also included as an option.
Clean, trim and then cube chicken. Place all ingredients in crock pot except peas. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Add peas 20-30 minutes prior to end of cooking.
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breast – about 2 pounds – trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion – diced
- 4 carrots, pealed and cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4-5 potatoes, pealed and cut into ¾ to 1 inch cubes
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and halved-optional
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 – 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes drained if you want a tomato based stew
- 1 t celery seed
- 1 t dry thyme (to taste... this is a little much for some)
- ½ t black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Prepare veggies
- Clean, trim and then cube chicken
- Place all ingredients in crock pot except peas
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Add peas 20-30 minutes prior to end of cooking
November 18 2014