Never buy another package of taco seasoning with this spicy taco seasoning in your pantry. This is SO MUCH BETTER. Now you can have tasty tacos in about 15 minutes.
I love my usual taco recipe (and my wife told me not to change it) but it takes 25 minutes, and I get out a lot of spices. It is time to simplify my life. The second issue I have ( the real one to me) is that a lot of recipes I want to try call for a package of taco seasoning. I refused to do that and substituting would mean adding 7 or 8 more ingredients. This is much better.
As a pediatrician, I’m always looking at ingredients on everything. Taco seasoning mix always puzzled me. Whoever thought of putting most of that junk in there must be a genius since I had no idea that wheat, flour, and maltodextrin were needed. And the salt, so much salt. And I though it was suppose to be spices. Silly silly me.
Tasty like my other taco meat.
Notes: there are hundred of recipes for taco seasoning out there. I didn’t bother since I knew what I wanted.
By making your own, you get to control everything. I always want to use fresh onion, so I did not put the onion powder in. I find the garlic a bit of a pain at times, so the garlic powder is in. This is 3/10 spicy. Adjust the cumin and cayenne accordingly. You are the boss.
Lots of good things plus an air tight container.
Here I’m making a “large” from the chart. Enough for 4 pounds and will store some. The chart gives other options for size, and the recipe below is for 1 pound.
Combine 1/2 cup chile powder, two tsp each of oregano, Kosher salt, one tsp each of cayenne pepper, black pepper, and four tsp cumin. Options are two tsp each of granular garlic powder and onion powder. Add these if you are not adding onion or garlic during your cooking. I always do fresh onion, so I omitted the onion powder.
Seal in an airtight container. It should be good for months.
To make 1 pound of taco meat. If you did not add the garlic and onion to the mix, then start with one small onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic and dice the onion and crush the garlic.
Over medium high heat add one tsp oil to a nonstick pan. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes until clearing. If adding fresh garlic, put it in now and “bloom” for 30 seconds.
Add 1 pound of ground beef and continue over medium-high heat, breaking the meat apart and cook until browned. About 4-5 minutes.
Drain the fat.
Add three tablespoons of taco seasoning and 1/4 cup of water. I usually will add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce or salsa here. Simmer for a few minutes until liquid is reduced.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - granulated preferred- optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder - optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine ingredients in medium bowl. Omit the garlic powder and/or onion powder if adding them fresh.
- The heat on this is 3/10. Adjust cumin and cayenne for taste. See post to vary amounts.
- To make 1 pound taco meat. If you did not add the garlic and/or onion to the mix. Start with one small onion and/or 2-3 cloves of garlic and dice the onion and crush the garlic.
- Over medium high heat add one tsp oil to a nonstick pan. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes until clearing. If adding fresh garlic, put it in now and “bloom” for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 pound of ground beef and continue over medium-high heat, breaking the meat apart and cook until browned. About 4-5 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Add three tablespoons of taco seasoning and 1/4 cup of water. I usually will add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce or salsa here. Simmer for a few minutes until liquid is reduced.
Have a question or something not clear? Ask in the comments.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, the pleasure of a nice 4 or 5 rating would be greatly appreciated.
Nutrition is for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.