My son Greg is milk allergic (that is not lactose but a true allergy). He loves white chili, but our favorite recipe contains cheese. Not good… So here is his recipe for a great tasting white chicken chili that will keep the taste buds and stomach happy.
Recipe and picture by Greg. This is a Milk free white chili.
1 large onion chopped
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 Tablespoon cumin (I usually do 2-2.5, but that’s me)
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 4 oz cans diced green chilies
1 red bell pepper chopped
32 oz chicken stock (broth is ok, but stock is better if the store has it)
- Put beans, onion, garlic, stock, and spices into a crockpot. Turn to high.
- Place chicken in a baking pan and cook at 350 until done but not browned (30-40 min in my oven)
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces (or shed if desired)
- Add chicken, bell pepper, and green chilies, and then reduce the crock pot’s temp to low.
- Let simmer at least 1.5 hours (longer is better of course.)
- Serve with crackers, bread, or tortilla chips.
- I like my chili thick, so I often don’t use all the stock and use extra chicken.
- I also tend to go spicy. To adjust this, I use small ultra spicy peppers and up the cumin depending on my tastes of the day.
- Also good for serving: add a bit of lime juice across the top of your bowl.
August 12, 2016