Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Pan Seared Oven Roasted Thick Cut Pork Chops
Learn how to cook those beautiful thick cut pork chops. Just follow these easy step by step photo instructions. Add in some gravy and you're in pork heaven.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 2 pork chops 1 1/2 inch thick about 3/4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Lawry's Seasoning salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Penzeys pork gravy base or you can use broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
Allow pork chops to rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 convection or 400 conventional.
These center cut chops are 1 1/2 inches thick and weigh 12 oz each. If there is a fat ring, trim it to 1/2 inch thick and slice it at about 1-inch intervals.
Season to taste with a seasoning salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. When shimmering add the seasoned pork chops.
Sear both sides of the chops for 2-3 minutes until gettings some nice browning.
Transfer to the preheated oven and cook until internal temperature of 145-150. About 25 minutes for me. Total cooking time will be variable due to the thickness of pork and start temperature of the chops.
Remove from pan and tent lightly with foil while doing gravy phase.
Using gravy base, mix 2 cups of pork broth. You can also use chicken or vegetable broth. Whisk 4 tablespoons flour into one cup of broth.
Add the other one cup of your broth to the pan over medium heat. When boiling, slowly add the broth/flour mixture while continuously whisking.
Continue to whisk until thickened about 2-3 minutes.
- Use an oven-safe pan like cast iron.
- Brine if you have time. A suggested brine is 2 cups of water with 2 tablespoons salt and 2 tablespoons brown sugar for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Be sure to refrigerate. If you brine, do not use any seasoning with salt.
- With thick pork chops, the most import tip is to rest to room temperature before starting to cook.
- Sear to the final color you want.
- Never cook by time. Cook to the final temperature you want. Remember it will increase a few degrees after removed from the oven.
Calories: 701kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 76g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 198mg | Sodium: 2186mg | Potassium: 1619mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.002g | Vitamin A: 27% | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 0.2% | Iron: 16%