Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Extra Thick Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
This is a great tasting extra thick Cheeseburger Soup that will become a great addition to your cold-weather rotation. A "stick to your bones" type of soup.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time5 hrs
Total Time5 hrs 20 mins
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 rib celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley optional
- 1 teaspoon dry basil optional
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 tablespoons butter 1 stick
- 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cheese of choice Velveeta for me
Peel and chop 3-4 medium potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes to make 3-4 cups. Peel and shred 2 medium carrots and chop one small onion and one stalk (rib) of celery.
Add veggies to larger crock pot. Add 2 cups low sodium chicken broth. Optionally add one teaspoon dry parsley and 1 teaspoon basil. Cook on low for 4 hours.
At 4 hours, brown 1 pound of ground beef. Drain the beef and add to the crock pot.
Wipe out pan. Melt one stick (8 tablespoons) butter. Add 1/2 cup flour, whisk for several minutes until changing color slightly. Add 2 1/2 cup milk. Whisk continuously for a few minutes while adding 1/4 cup of sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Add to crock pot and mix well. Add 1 pound cheese of choice. Velveeta for me. Cook one additional hour on HIGH.
Top the way you would your cheeseburger. I love some bacon, tomato and pickle.
- As written, this needs a larger crock pot of 6 qt or more. A half recipe would fit in a 3 qt. crock pot.
- Use the cheese of your choice.
- This is good in the refigerator for 3-4 days and will freeze well for 3-4 months.
- If you want a somewhat thinner more soup like result, the cut the butter and flour in half.
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 459mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 66% | Vitamin C: 8% | Calcium: 12% | Iron: 13%