Easy to follow step by step photo instructions for crispy oven baked chicken wings. No need to fry to get the great crispy skin. Add a Buffalo coating, and you have an American favorite. Now you can do it at home. Plus it is healthier.
This technique can be used with many flavors of wings other than Buffalo.
Want BBQ Instead?
Skip the Buffalo coating. Mix 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Give the wings a light brushing of the BBQ about 10 minutes before done (be sure to flip to get both sides) than a heavier brush when they come out. It somewhat depends on the amount of sauce you want on the wing. The light brushing gives a base for the second coat to stick.
Smoking Oven Issues
Smoking ovens have been an issue for at least one user due to high temp cooking. I haven’t had the problem, BUT it is probably related to multiple factors.
- If there is trimmable fat, trim it.
- Use a pan with some side on it to keep any splatter contained.
- If your oven has convection roast and convection bake, use the bake mode.
- You could turn down the oven by 25-50 degrees. This will increase the cooking time some and may prone to drying out some. Remember to cook to an endpoint, not by time.
- Of course, the oven should be clean, so the smoke isn’t coming from a previous splatter.
- Some water in the pan under the rack will prevent the smoking issue. It will cool the fat when it drips.