Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
So simple yet extremely rich, creamy and absolutely delicious! An unbelievably easy sour cream chicken enchilada casserole recipe that it can be a weeknight recipe.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast diced or shredded. Use 1-2 pounds.
- 1 onion medium
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas 8 inch each
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 15 ounce chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounce chopped green chilis
Preheat oven to 375 convection or 400 conventional.
Trim and dice about 1 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast into about 1/2 inch or smaller pieces. Dice one medium onion. You can use anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds of chicken.
Add one tablespoon oil to a large fry pan over medium-high heat and when hot add chicken and onion together. Cook until chicken is done. About 5 minutes. (I checked the chicken with an instant read thermometer for 165. Only for the paranoid, it will also be cooked in the oven.)
Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with PAM. Heat 8 tortillas (8 inches) in a microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften.
Assemble the enchiladas. On a tortilla add about 1/4 cup of chicken/onion (more if you increased the chicken) and about two tablespoons of Monterey Jack cheese. Place this not in the center but about at the 1/3 mark then roll over the short end and roll tightly. Place seam down in the baking pan. Repeat until done.
In a medium saucepan melt four tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter over medium heat. When melted, add 1/4 cup flour. Whisk together and cook for a few minutes then add one can chicken broth and continuously whisk until thickened then a few minutes more.
Remove from heat and add 1 cup sour cream and 1 (4 ounces) can chopped green chilis
Pour over the assembled enchiladas. Top with 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake until golden brown and bubbling. About 20 minutes.
- Use 1-2 pounds of chicken. It could be as little as 1 pound or as much as 2 pounds. Diced or shredded. Get you chicken where you can. Cook as directed or use precooked.
- The tortillas will be much more flexible if warmed slightly in the microwave.
- This is a bit bland so you can spice it up with some cayenne pepper or cu min.
- I like the Monteray Jack cheese here but use what you want.
- Cook to a nice brown top.
Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 1178mg | Potassium: 390mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 18% | Vitamin C: 10% | Calcium: 27% | Iron: 19%