I’m DrDan, AKA Dan Mikesell DO, so yes, a real doctor. I'm a retired board-certified pediatrician in West Michigan with over 40 years as a physician providing care for children.
Over the past 40 years, I have been very passionate about cooking. While I'm not a fully trained chef, I have had some culinary training plus years of experience to share with you.
I believe everybody can learn to cook easily at home with the right instructions and patience. It is this passion and love of cooking I want to give to you.
I use the name DrDan on this site. Initially, I was hiding behind it to not interfere with my pediatric practice. I'm out in the open now, but still, I use the DrDan name as my cooking pseudonym.
So, relax and enjoy your cooking. I don't believe you should do things you don't enjoy. I want you to cook with a smile on your face and in your heart. And I hope my enthusiasm to help you improve your cooking skills will be contagious.
About 101 Cooking for Two
101 Cooking for Two is a food blog dedicated to easy everyday food for smaller households. Most are traditional midwest home cooking recipes presented with easy to follow step by step instructions and photos to make it as easy as possible.
I created this site in 2010 to share those skills, my passion, and many great everyday recipes with you. But this is also about my love of teaching.
As a three-time Educator of the Year at our local hospital system for teaching medical students and young physicians, I have honed my teaching expertise my entire life and will apply those skills to help you become a better cook.
Now I'm devoting all my energies to creating a cooking blog to help you with the skills and knowledge I have cultivated over 40+ years. As with medicine, I bring a scientifically critical eye to cooking.
Combine my award-winning education expertise with years of cooking experience; I believe I'm uniquely qualified to help you and work with you in an encouraging and helpful way.
What you will find here:
- The recipe posts include detailed step by step photo instructions. These are designed to help you visualize creating the recipes yourself. Photos are to illustrate steps in the cooking process and maybe from other recipes or modified slightly to help you visualize that step in the recipe.
- With the recipe broken down into easy to do steps, you will know you can do this. The ultimate goal is to get it perfect the first time and every time.
- I will try to explain things and give you options that will work in your everyday kitchen.
- Posts titled "How to..." will provide the most detailed discussions. As with my years of teaching medical students and young physicians, I also want to show you "the why," not just "the how."
Why is it "Cooking for Two"?
This site is about the type of cooking I have done for many years, and I believe many others may struggle with how to cook for a smaller household.
While some will think "cooking for two" only means two servings, I disagree. We are cooking for the smaller household. That may be one, two, or more people.
Cooking only two serving all the time would be very limiting, and it is not realistic to how most smaller household function. The selection of food you could cook, and the work involved would not be reasonable.
So you will find many recipes here for more than two servings. See The Recipes - What and why not always for two? for more discussion.
Check out the Guide to Cooking for Two that will help you get successfully started cooking for your smaller household.
A Few Testimonials From User
- From Sheree McMahon on April 27, 2019: “ My family is beginning to think I can actually cook and have just been hiding it for many years lol.”
- From Mark B on March 26, 2019: “ As always Doc, you have a lot of amazingly simple recipes that are easier and better tasting than the so-called “pros”. Thanks again.”
- From Heather C on March 24, 2019: “ And now I’m a huge fan and follower of your 101 cooking for two page! So, on behalf of my husband and I, thank you so much for spreading your amazing cooking tips that will last me a lifetime!! xoxo”
- From Tim Meehan on March 9, 2019: “Pure joy, love it! Great, practical advice. All worked like a charm.”
- From Lisa on March 8, 2019: “I enjoy the dogs and the recipes equally! Love that sweet picture with all their lovies. Thanks for all the work you do, your recipes are dinner staples for my family”
- From Marcia on March 3, 2019: “Dr Dan,
I love your recipes. Keep ‘em coming! I am cooking my way through your website. Your dogs are so smart!! They are beautiful & funny too.
Sites that I work with or have had recipes featured or referenced
A Medical Note
This blog is for education and entertainment in cooking, it is NOT a medical or health blog. Any dietary, medical, or nutrition information is for general information only and would be incomplete in this setting due to the nature of a blog.
While I'm a board-certified pediatrician, Dan Mikesell, DO with many years of formal medical training and experience, and qualified to make medical and health comments, I will only rarely make health comments on this blog. And then only to counter misconceptions or point somebody in the right direction.
If you need medical or health advice, you need to see your primary care provider (PCP). For a discussion on how I feel about common health issues, please see The Doctor Talks - The Annual New Years Post.
Good starting places:
Some Other Discussions You Might Find Interesting
Most current contact information at Contact Me.
DrDan @ 101cookingfortwo . com (Remove spaces to use)
Last Updated November 9, 2019