Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
Simple one pan stovetop fresh green beans with toasted almonds make a great side dish for family or special meal. Just follow these easy step by step photo instructions.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings.
- 1 pound green beans cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 cup almonds slivers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or minced
Start with about 1 pound of green beans. Rinse and trim the ends off the green beans. Slice into 2-inch pieces if you want.
Over medium-high heat toast 1/4 cup of almond slivers until browning some (about 2-3 minutes).
Remove almonds and add one teaspoon olive oil to the pan and heat over medium heat until hot the add the trimmed beans. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute until getting some spots of brown, about 5 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup water and cover. Cook about 2 minutes but stop while the beans are still bright green and crisp. Remove lid and increase heat to high. Cook off the water. About 1 minute.
Add one tablespoon butter and three cloves of crushed garlic. Cook until light brown and starting to wrinkle. About 2-3 minutes.
Remove to serving bowl and toss with the almonds.
- The fresher the beans, the better. See discussion in the post for tips on buying the best green beans.
- Do not use frozen green beans for this recipe.
- Cutting in half for two works well. But use the same amount of water to do the steaming step.
- Add some cooked bacon or other things for your taste. 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika is a good addition.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 20% | Vitamin C: 32% | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 9%