Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Crock Pot Beef Stew
The best beef stew I have ever had. It is thick, meaty with wonderful taste plus it’s simple and easy to make.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 10 serving
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck-eye roast trimmed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 onions medium minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 14 oz low-sodium beef broth
- 1 lb red potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4-6 carrots pealed cut into 1/2 inch medallions
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Minute tapioca
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
Start by trimming about 3 pounds of boneless chuck roast or use stew meat if you are lazy. Give it a light dusting of flour and place in hot oil over medium-high heat in the large nonstick pan. Brown for about 7-8 minutes. Move the meat to crock pot but keep any liquid in the pan.
While browning meat, peel 4 carrots and cut into 1/2 inch thick medallions. Scrub 1 pound of red potatoes and cut into chunks. Other potatoes could be used.
Mince 3 medium onions. Crush or mince 6 cloves of garlic. Add onion, 6 oz. tomato paste, and 1/2 tsp salt into the hot pan. Cook until onions are soft and lightly browned. About 8 minutes and try to add the garlic for the last minute.
When the onion is ready, add one 14 oz can of beef broth to the pan and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add all ingredients except the peas in the crock pot, stir well and set to 8 hours on low. At hour 7, add 1 cup frozen peas.
- I know this is cooking for two. This recipe will cut in half well.
- As written, you should use a 6.5 qt or bigger crock pot.
- Leftovers are good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or 2-3 months in a freezer.
- If you're in a hurry, skip the whole browning skillet steps. Just dump it in, and it will be great.
- I prefer to cut and time a chuck roast for this, but store stew beef will work fine.
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 846mg | Potassium: 762mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 112% | Vitamin C: 17% | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 27%