Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Super-easy and delicious, this crock pot chicken tortilla soup is the perfect healthy hearty soup. Just follow these simple step by step photo instructions. Top with tortilla strips and other toppings of your choice.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts medium
- 1 onion medium
- 2 stalks celery
- 10 oz RoTel Diced tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 can corn drained. White corn preferred.
- 14 oz black beans rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 28 oz lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
Chop one medium onion and a couple of celery stalks.
Mix veggies in a 6 qt crock pot with one 10 oz can RoTel (Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies), one 14 oz can diced tomatoes, 1 cup frozen corn or 1 can corn (drained), one 14.5 oz can black beans rinsed, 2 cloves crushed garlic, two 14 oz cans lower sodium chicken broth, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder,1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional). Mix this all together in the crock pot.
Trim and cut two medium skinless boneless chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Add to the pot. OR you can just toss in whole chicken breasts. If you do the whole breast then about 1 hour before the end, remove, shred then replace.
Cook for 6 hours on low.
To Make Your Own Tortilla Strips
While soup is cooking, make some tortilla strips for topping. Preheat oven to 375. Thinly slice up a couple of tortillas.
Spread the tortilla strips in a baking pan, give a light spray of PAM and bake until golden brown. About 10-15 minutes. This will vary some by your tortillas and the oven so watch it.
- You need 1-2 pounds of skinless chicken. I use breasts, but thighs will work well.
- You can cook the chicken breasts whole and shred near the end or cube at the beginning.
- Tortilla strips are not required, obviously and if you want you could use commercial ones.
- Top as you wish: Cheese, Sour Cream, Avocado, Cilantro, etc.
- Good refrigerated for 3-4 days. Freezes very nicely for 4-6 months.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 929mg | Potassium: 725mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7% | Vitamin C: 27% | Calcium: 6% | Iron: 12%