Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cheesy American Goulash
Also known as American Chop Suey, chili mac, or just goulash, this is classic American ground beef goulash casserole with a cheesy kick. Just follow these easy step by step photo instructions — great comfort food.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup dry pasta
- 1 onion small or 1/2 medium
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon seasoning salt I used Lowery’s
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 convection. And start heating water for cooking pasta.
Start brown 1 pound of ground beef over medium high heat.
Start cooking 1 cup of pasta and chop one small or 1/2 medium onion.
Add the onion to the ground beef about 5 minutes into cooking and cook the pasta to al dente which should be about 2 minutes short of done.
Add two cloves of minced or crushed garlic to the burger the last few minutes of cooking the ground beef.
Prep a large baking dish with PAM.
To the baking dish add 1 15oz can tomato sauce, 1 14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes, 1 tsp basil, 2 tsp seasoning salt (I used Lowery’s), 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix well.
Drain the ground beef and add that along with the pasta and mix well.
Stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Bake until golden brown. About 30 minutes.
- This is not an easy recipe to cut down due to full cans of things. It is good refrigerated for 3-4 days and will freeze well.
- You can skip all the cheese, cook the pasta a bit more and make this a stovetop recipe. But the cooking in the oven helps tastes to blend.
- If you feel "goulash" must have more paprika than what is in the seasoning salt, add 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- Vary the cheeses to what you like.
- Like many casseroles, I feel it is better the second day.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1343mg | Potassium: 669mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 7% | Vitamin C: 11% | Calcium: 17% | Iron: 18%