Since I now do most of the cooking around here, I have had to take on meatloaf, our comfort food. This is my 4th or 5th try and I now have it right.
As per my usual habit, I checked for recipes and to my horror, almost all of them had 15-20 ingredients. This should be a fast, wipe it together in 5 minutes meal. Even if you had all 20 ingredients without the trip to the store, it would still take 30 minutes to get everything out and measured. MY GOD… how stupid. I have 8… I can remember that.
I do love my meatloaf and I’m picky…
2 lbs Ground Beef
1 medium onion minced
1 cup bread crumbs (one slice of bread though the processor)
1/2 cup ketchup (plus about 1/4 cup on top)
1/2 c milk
1 T Lawry’s Seasoning salt
1/2 t pepper
|Opps… I ran out of fresh milk and had to use powdered. It’s just fine…|
1) Preheat oven to 375. Spray shallow baking dish with pam.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together. Mix well, be sure not to leave any chunks of burger not mixed. I use clean hands for this. Officially use a wooden spoon.
3) Place in baking pan and cover top with Ketchup.
4) Place in oven and cook to 170 temp (about 1 hour)
5) Remove from oven and using turkey baster remove collected fat and fluid.
Notes: I’m told that you can make meatloaf tough by over mixing. I have never done this and I’m not sure it’s possible. A cheap ketchup would probably spoil this so I always use Hunt’s or Heinz.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs (one slice of bread though the processor)
- (1/2 cup plus about 1/4 cup on top) ketchup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 T Lawry’s Seasoning salt
- 1/2 t pepper
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings
May 23, 2013