Jazz up your boring side dishes with these outstanding baked bacon green beans. Ultra easy from frozen beans. Topped with bacon and cooked with butter and brown sugar, this will be a family staple.
I’m always looking for great veggie side dishes. Readers of this blog know I have veggies issues. We are more of a meatassorous household. So a recipe topped with bacon has obvious appeal.
My wife came up with this inspiration piece, Smothered Green Beans at Plain Chicken. Now, I’m sure Stephanie at Plain Chicken would not even recognize it as coming from her inspiration. I did keep the bacon. I went with frozen and not canned beans. I changed ratios, more butter, less soy. And I greatly changed the size. But the flavor idea is the same.
My wife (the queen of all meatassorouses) gave it a 5. Her cousin had three servings. I think it is a high 4 to low five.
Recipe notes for Bacon Green Beans
The original recipe was for canned green beans. We gave up on canned beans years ago due to texture issues. We do frozen beans all the time and fresh beans when they look good, and the timing is right with our shopping.
The frozen beans are generally “blanched” but not otherwise cooked. They will keep good color, and the texture here is just fine. Fresh should work fine, but color may not be as nice.
Preheat oven to 375 convection.
Cut 3-4 pieces of bacon into pieces and fry. Stop just before crispy and drain on paper towel.
Melt 2 tablespoons salted butter in a microwave. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
Add one pound frozen green beans to a 8 by 8 baking dish. Spread the bacon over the beans. Drizzle the liquid over the dish.
Bake until beans are tender. About 40 minutes.
Baked Bacon Green Beans
- 1 pound frozen whole green beans
- 3-4 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - low sodium preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 convection.
- Cut 3-4 pieces of bacon into pieces and fry. Stop just before you get to crispy and drain on paper towel.
- Melt 2 tablespoons salted butter in a microwave. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Add one pound frozen green beans to a 8 by 8 baking dish. Spread the bacon over the beans. Drizzle the liquid over the dish.
- Bake until beans are tender. About 40 minutes.
Have a question or something not clear? Ask in the comments.
Nutrition is for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, the pleasure of a nice 4 or 5 rating would be greatly appreciated.