Have this wonderful berry crumble for that special dessert. Ultra-simple to whip up and time for the end of the meal. Sometimes a recipe is good; sometimes it is excellent but other times it is great.
All recipes have a story, and this one is no exception. We needed a dessert, which we usually don't do, for a company meal. I was doing marinated strip steaks on the grill with grill mix veggies, so I didn't have time for "work".
My daughter had just the recipe in a cookbook. A photo of the recipe and a text message and we were good to go. The recipe used some frozen berries, a can of apple pie feeling and some refrigerated cookie dough.
It turns out it was Berry Cookie Cobbler from Sandra Lee at Food Network. Now I try not to do a lot of "semi-homemade" recipes, but I probably should do more. Especially after this one. While it was really good, the main downfall was the topping of crumbled up refrigerated cookie dough. While nice, it could be better with almost no work. So we substitute in a simple crumble top from my apple crumble pie , and we go from good to great.
A solid five and a shoe-in for a top ten recipe for the yearly roundup.
If you don't want to do the crumble topping then use one tube of sugar cookie dough crumbled up. I believe the original recipe suggest thawing the frozen berries but just dump them in frozen is fine.
Other Crisp/Crumble Recipes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare crumble topping. Combine one cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Melt one stick (1/2 cup) butter in the microwave and mix into the dry mixture.
In a large mixing bowl, combine two 12 oz bags of frozen mixed berries, one 21 oz can of apple pie filling, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
Pour berry mixture into an eight by eight or nine by six baking dish. Top with the crumb mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool for a few minutes and severe warm with ice cream.
Do you want more recipes from 101 Cooking for Two? Sign up for the newsletter and get all posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Easy Berry Crumble
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter - one stick
- 21 oz apple pie filling - one can
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon - less is ok
- 24 oz mixed berries - frozen two bags
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare crumble topping. Combine one cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Melt one stick (1/2 cup) butter in the microwave and mix into the dry mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine two 12 oz bags of frozen mixed berries, one 21 oz can of apple pie filling, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Pour berry mixture into an eight by eight or nine by six baking dish. Top with the crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes and severe with ice cream.
ADJUST THE RECIPE SIZE:You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
Nutrition is generally for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.