A couple of apples, five common pantry ingredients, and less than one hour will get you an old-fashioned apple crisp that would make grandma proud. Super easy with almost no work.
You can call it apple crisp or apple crumble; this is a classic fall dessert that will become a favorite for the entire family. Use it for every day, for "pass a dish" occasions, or just to take it to friends.
It was apple season here in Michigan, and I was in great need of a simple apple recipe. A friend would frequently bring a similar simple dish occasionally to the office to share. The hunt was on.
My first stop, as usual, was Cooks Illustrated. I find Quick Dutch Apple Crisp. I liked the name. The quick did it for me, but the 13 ingredients, many of which I didn't have, did not do it for me.
Some looking around and I had just what I wanted with Allrecipes.com Apple Crisp - Perfect and Easy only six ingredients and great ratings. So after a few nips and tucks, here is my adaption.
A very nice five. Now we don't do desserts very often, but we will do this more often. I have to start keeping ice cream in the house.
♨️Cobblers, Crumbles, vs. Crisps
Cobblers are easy; they have a biscuit or cake-like topping.
Crumbles and crisps are frequently used interchangeably. But some feel that the differentiating factor is crumbles have oats in the topping and crisps do not. This seems to be not widely accepted; in fact, almost nobody follows that differentiation.
So, in my world, this is a crisp. But call it a crumble if you want.
Use the apples you have and love. I think an apple that is firmer and tarter is the best choice here. If you are buying apples just for this recipe, then some good choices are Cortland, Granny Smith, and Ida Red.
I generally have other apples around and use them. The apples I would normally not use would be Red Delicious or Macintosh.
You may want to adjust the sugar for the sweetness of the apples, especially if they are very tart or very sweet.
This recipe will use about 3 cups of sliced apples. It can be a bit more or less. That will be about two large or three medium apples.
Some people will not peel the apples, but I highly suggest peeling your apples.
This is already a smaller recipe. It fits nicely in an 8 by 8 inches baking pan. You can also use a 6 by 9 oblong dish or 9 inches round.
This recipe doubles easily and fits nicely in a 9 by 13 standard cake or casserole pan. You can even make it smaller if you have the correct pan.
The nine servings I state for this recipe is a bit arbitrary so that is a soft number depending on how you want to use this.
After cooking, refrigerate for 3-4 days covered tightly. Reheat briefly in a microwave.
It can freeze for about 3 months. If you freeze it, thaw before reheating.
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°.
Peel and slice 2 ½ to 3 cups of apples. That will be two larger apples or three smaller ones. Avoid Red Delicious and Macintosh apples.
Prep an 8-inch square baking dish with a butter coat.
Combine one cup flour with 1 cup sugar but adjust the sugar down to ¾ cup if your apples are very sweet. Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well. Cut 8 tablespoons of butter into dry ingredients.
Spread the sliced apples in the dish. Spread topping over apples.
Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool some before serving.
Easy Apple Crisp
- 2½ to 3 cups apples - sliced about 2 large or 3 medium
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar - up to 1 cup depending on sweetness of apples
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter - ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel and slice 2 ½ to 3 cups of apples. That will be two larger apples or three smaller. Avoid Red Delicious and Macintosh apples.
- Prep an 8-inch square baking dish with a butter coat.
- Combine one cup flour with 1 cup sugar but adjust the sugar down to ¾ cup if your apples are very sweet. Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well. Cut 8 tablespoons of butter into dry ingredients.
- Spread the sliced apples in the dish. Spread topping over apples
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool some before serving.
My Private Notes
- This fits nicely in an 8x8 pan but 9X6 or 9 inch round will work. A 9x9 will be thinner and not suggested.
- This is an easy recipe to adjust up or down. A double recipe fits nicely in a standard 9 by 13 cake or casserole pan.
- Use the apples you love but I suggest not to use Red Delicious or Macintosh.
- Cut the sugar down to ¾ cup if the apples are very sweet.
- The amount of apple slices can vary up or down some.
- A bit of cooling before serving helps it hold together.
- Store refrigerated airtight for 3-4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheats nicely in the microwave.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Publisher Note: Originally Published October 25, 2014, It is a great simple recipe Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.