Broccoli slaw salad is a healthy side dish with veggies, crunchy almonds and sunflower seeds, rice noodles and topped with a wonderful homemade dressing.
Many times before the family knows what the main dish is, we get the "Are we having broccoli slaw?" question. Now, I call that a good dish.
😊Why will you love this recipe
- A great sidedish for any family gathering. Perfect at holidays but also great summer picnics, potluck, or any where you need a fresh, healthy sidedish.
- The whole family (including kids) will love the crunchy mix of vegetables with nuts and rice noodles coated with a tasty dressing.
- Make it your own with chunks of fresh broccoli florets, apples, or anything you love.
- Easy to make ahead and add the dressing and noodles just before serving.
- Perfect in many diets: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan—just watch your ingredients.
👨🍳How to Make Broccoli Slaw Salad
- Clean and chop celery and slice green onions.
- Mix the celery, onions, broccoli slaw mixture, sliced almonds, and sunflower seeds. Mix well.
- Add one can of rice noodles and mix.
- Mix dressing: good quality vegetable oil, soy sauce, sugar, and white or rice vinegar.
- Add just before serving and toss well. Note: you may not need quite all the dressing. Just add until all the mixture is moist.
Broccoli Slaw- a variation of coleslaw prepared using shredded raw broccoli stalks substituted for cabbage combined with some red cabbage and carrot. It is sold sold pre-packaged in the produce department next to the cabbage slaw and fresh salads usually in a 12 ounce bag. You can make your own.
Vegetables—Celery and sliced green onions.
Nuts—sunflower seeds and sliced almonds
Rice Noodles or dry ramen noodles
Dressing is homemade with vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Oil is added to complete the dressing. A good quality vegetable oil is needed.
Options—Chopped apples, Broccoli florets, dried cranberries or raisins
Yes, but do not assemble completely. Prep the celery and onion and refrigerate. Also mix the dressing ahead. When time to serve, assembly will happen quickly.
Good covered tightly for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
If you anticipate there will be leftovers, reserve that part of the salad but do not add the rice noodles or dressing.
Fresh Spinach Salad; A Summer Favorite
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Clean and chop 2-3 ribs of celery and slice 3-5 green onions. The variance is for the size of the produce. (All pictures are for a double batch.)
Mix the celery, onions, one 12 or 16 ounce package of broccoli slaw mixture, ¾ cup sliced almonds, and ½ cup sunflower seeds.
Add one 3 ounce can of rice noodles and mix.
Mix dressing: ½ cup of good quality vegetable oil, 1 ½ teaspoon soy sauce, ½ cup sugar, and ¼ cup white or rice vinegar. Add just before serving and toss well. Note: you may not need quite all the dressing. Just add until all the mixture is moist.
Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 1 package Broccoli Slaw - 12-16 oz
- 2-3 ribs celery - chopped
- 3-5 green onions - sliced
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 can rice noodles - 3 oz can
- ½ cup sunflower oil or other good oil
- 1½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar - or rice
- Clean and chop 2-3 ribs of celery and slice 3-5 green onions. The variance is for the size of the produce.
- Mix the celery, onions, one 12 or 16-ounce package of broccoli slaw mixture, ¾ cup sliced almonds, and ½ cup sunflower seeds.
- Add one 3-ounce can of rice noodles and mix.
- Mix dressing: ½ cup of good quality vegetable oil, 1 ½ teaspoon soy sauce, ½ cup sugar, and ¼ cup white or rice vinegar. Add just before serving and toss well. Note: you may not need quite all the dressing. Just add until all the mixture is moist.
Your Own Private Notes
- Use a good oil. Sunflower oil is suggested, but other vegetable oil will be fine.
- I tend to use 3 ribs of celery and vary the onion by their size.
- Most bags of broccoli slaw will be 12 oz, but maybe 16 oz. Either size is fine here.
- I add the dressing and noodles at the end.
- If I think there will be significant leftovers, I reserve part of the slaw, dressing, and noodles for later. I like the noodles crunchy in the leftovers. Or you can leave them out and sprinkle them at serving.
- Good refrigerated covered tightly for 2-3 days
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Originally Published December 29, 2011. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.
When Alexis first implored me to try broccoli slaw a few years ago, I told her she was nuts. I was surprised by how much I liked it and it rocks with any Thai dish or better yet, fusion Asian tacos.
Thanks. For the readers out there, check out The Teacher Cooks in the blogroll. You will always learn something, see some well done recipes and those wonderful photos... I'm so jealous.
The Teacher Cooks
I just love this slaw. Thanks for reminding me that I need to make this soon. I appreciate you adding my blog to your blogroll.