Broccoli Slaw Salad has great crunch and flavor. It has broccoli slaw salad, veggies, almonds, and rice noodles. The homemade dressing is a delicious touch.
This healthy broccoli slaw recipe is perfect for any family gathering, like holidays, summer picnics, potluck, or anywhere you need a delicious fresh side dish.
Vegetables—celery, green onions
Nuts—sunflower seeds and sliced almonds
Rice Noodles or dry ramen noodles
Broccoli slaw dressing—vegetable oil, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar
Options—chopped apples, broccoli florets, dried cranberries, or raisins
A wonderful salad is a crunchy mix of vegetables with nuts and rice noodles coated with a tasty dressing. The whole family, including the kids, will love this recipe.
Perfect to make ahead and add the dressing and noodles just before serving. It fits many diets: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan—just watch your ingredients.
👨🍳How to Make Broccoli Slaw Salad
Clean and chop 2-3 ribs of celery and slice 3-5 green onions. The variance is for the size of the produce.
Mix the celery, onions, one 12 or 16-ounce package of broccoli slaw mixture, ¾ cup sliced almonds, and ½ cup sunflower seeds.
Just before serving, add one 3-ounce can of rice noodles and mix.
Mix dressing: ½ cup of good quality vegetable oil, 1 ½ teaspoon soy sauce, ½ cup sugar, and ¼ cup white or rice vinegar. Add just before serving and toss well or serve on the side. Note: you may not need quite all the dressing. Just add until all the mixture is moist.
If you know you will have leftovers, reserve part before adding the noodles and dressing.
For more details, keep reading. See the Recipe Card below for complete instructions and to print.
Make it your own with chopped apples, broccoli florets, dried cranberries, or raisins. Change the sliced green onions to chopped red onion.
When to serve broccoli slaw?
We use this dish instead of garden salads for special holiday meals with Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, Ribeye Roast, and Honey Glazed Ham. Or with company meals of Oven Roasted Strip Steak or Pan Seared Oven Roasted Filet Mignon.
Making broccoli slaw salad ahead
Broccoli slaw is the perfect make-ahead side dish for any family gathering.
Prep the celery and onion and refrigerate. Also, mix the dressing ahead of time. When it is time to serve, the assembly will happen quickly, but serve the dressing on the side.
Storage of leftovers
Good covered tightly for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
If you anticipate there will be leftovers, reserve that part of the salad, but do not add the rice noodles or dressing.
Broccoli slaw is a variation of coleslaw prepared using shredded raw broccoli stems substituted for cabbage combined with some red cabbage and carrot.
It is sold pre-packaged in the produce department next to the cabbage slaw and fresh salads, usually in a 12-ounce bag. You can make your own.
Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 1 package Broccoli Slaw - 12-16 oz
- 2-3 ribs celery - chopped
- 3-5 green onions - sliced
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 can rice noodles - 3 oz can
- ½ cup sunflower oil or other good oil
- 1½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar - white, apple cider, or rice
- Clean and chop 2-3 ribs of celery and slice 3-5 green onions. The variance is for the size of the produce.
- Mix the celery, onions, one 12 or 16-ounce package of broccoli slaw mixture, ¾ cup sliced almonds, and ½ cup sunflower seeds.
- Just before serving, add one 3-ounce can of rice noodles and mix.
- Mix dressing: ½ cup of good quality vegetable oil, 1 ½ teaspoon soy sauce, ½ cup sugar, and ¼ cup white or rice vinegar. Add just before serving and toss well or serve on the side. Note: you may not need quite all the dressing. Just add until all the mixture is moist.
Your Own Private Notes
- Use a good oil. Sunflower oil is suggested, but other vegetable oils will be fine.
- I tend to use 3 ribs of celery and vary the onion by their size.
- Most bags of broccoli slaw will be 12 oz, but maybe 16 oz. Either size is fine here.
- Add the dressing and noodles at the end.
- If there will be significant leftovers, reserve part of the slaw, dressing, and noodles for later. I like the noodles crunchy in the leftovers. Or you can leave them out and sprinkle them at serving.
- Good refrigerated covered tightly for 2-3 days
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Originally Published December 29, 2011. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.