Celebrate fall and apples with this ultra simple crock pot apple crisp. Easy to follow step by step photo instructions to get it right the first time, every time.
There are many variations of this around, but they are not really "cooking for two" friendly. So I combined several recipes and cut down the amount to make it friendly for the smaller crock pot. While it is not just two servings, you will want at least some leftovers.
In keeping with my keep it simple theme:
- Peal and cut up the apples.
- Add a simple topping and cook.
Home cooking goodness has never been so simple.
Very nice. A high 4 or low 5.
Cobblers, Crumbles, vs. Crisps
Cobblers are easy; they have a biscuit or cake topping. I have a very nice Smaller Crock Pot Apple Cobbler.
Crumbles and crisps are commonly used interchangeably. The differentiating factor is crisps have oats in the topping and crumble do not. This seems to be not widely accepted.
I think the recipe name should tell you what you’re getting so in my world this is a crisp. But call it a crumble if you want.
Use the apples you have. Adjust the sugar for the sweetness of the apples.
I'm not very picky about my apples. There are many good apples for cooking and a few not so good, but I believe you use what you have. I had Fiji today. Delicious Apples are probably the only common poor choice.
But apples that are firmer and tarter are good a choice here. So if you are buying apples just for this recipe, then some good choices are Cortland, Granny Smith, and Ida Red.
♨️The Crock Pot
This recipe is for smaller crock pots in the 3 to 4 quart range. If you are using a 2-quart pot, decrease by 50%. I would double the recipe for the bigger standard crock pots of 6-8 quart. I would not double the amount in a smaller crock pot.
What is the deal with the rotation of the top of the crock pot?
There is a lot of moisture released with the apples cooking. Venting the humidity near the end of cooking will help to make the crisp crisper so to speak.
There is more topping than some may wish ( I liked it) so a bigger dish and more apples with the same amount of topping would do nicely.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Start with apples of your choice. You will need four medium which will make four cups of apple slices. Peel and slice.
Mix ½ cup each of flour, light brown sugar and rolled oats. Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Add four tablespoons softened butter and mix until combined completely. It will be crumbly looking.
Give a smaller crock pot a heavy spray of PAM. I used my 3 ½ quart pot. Add 4 cups of apple slices.
Smooth out apples then apply topping evenly over the apples.
Cook for 2 hours on high covered then rotate the lid to allow moisture to vent and cook one more hour on high for a total of 3 hours.
Allow to cool a little before serving so the apples will set up some. Great with ice cream.
Simple Crock Pot Apple Crisp
- 4 apples - medium
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Start with apples of your choice. You will need four medium which will make about 4 cups of apple slices. Peel and slice.
- Mix ½ cup each of flour, light brown sugar and rolled oats. Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Add four tablespoons softened butter and mix until combined completely. It will be crumbly looking.
- Give a smaller crock pot a heavy spray of PAM. I used my 3 ½ quart pot. Add 4 cups of apple slices.
- Smooth out apples then apply topping evenly over the apples.
- Cook for 2 hours on high covered then rotate the lid to allow moisture to vent and cook one more hour on high for a total of 3 hours.
- Allow to cool a little before serving so the apples will set up some. Great with ice cream.
- Use the apples of your choice. A firmer tarter apple is probably a better choice. The only apples I would not use are delicious apples.
- Cut in half for 2-quart pot. Double for a larger pot. This recipe is for 3-4 quart crock pot.
- I vent the crock pot top by rotating the top for the last hour of cooking. This is optional will help the top crisp up better.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Originally published October 3, 2015. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.