This Old Fashioned Betty Crocker Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake recipe features a great streusel topping and loads of cinnamon. Quick and easy to make to the home.
Great old-fashioned coffee cake like grandma made adapted from the 1972 edition of Betty Crocker's Cookbook.
Pantry ingredients—sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon
Optional—chopped walnuts or pecans
Topping—brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon
Featured Comment from Judy Melton:
"5 stars. I have made hundreds of coffee cakes and this is the first one in years that I have told friends is a keeper."
This quick and easy coffee cake recipe comes together quickly with just pantry ingredients. Usually, it takes 40 minutes from start to eating.
Simple to follow step-by-step photo instructions—I always made two 9-inch round cakes for leftovers.
👨🍳How to Make Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 375°, not convection.
Spray a 9-inch baking pan with PAM or grease with butter.
In a small mixing bowl, combine ⅓ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Cut 3 tablespoons of cold butter into the dry ingredients with a large fork until crumbly.
Mix the wet ingredients: ¾ cup milk, ¼ cup oil, and 1 egg.
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Combine well, add the wet into the dry, and mix until combined, but do not overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle on the crumb topping. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean—about 25 minutes.
Try to let the coffee cake cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
For more details, keep reading. See the Recipe Card below for complete instructions and to print.
↕️How to make this a "for two" or "family size" recipe
The full recipe fits in a 9-inch round, 8-inch square, or a 6 by 9 pan.
- Use the recipe card and adjust the number of servings to half or double.
- Use the amount of ingredients in the ingredient list, not the instructions—those do not adjust.
- Finding the proper baking pan will be hard for a half recipe. A 6-inch round or another shape with about 30 square inches of surface area will work.
- A double recipe fits perfectly in a 9 by 13 cake pan or two 9-inch round pans.
- Cooking a double recipe in one pan will take a few minutes longer. A half recipe should cook a bit faster.
❄️Storage and Reheating
To store this coffee cake, seal it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature. Better at 1 day than two. You can refrigerate and double the storage time. Store airtight in the freezer for 3 months.
To reheat, use a microwave on high for 10-15 seconds; it will be much better than cold. Almost as good as fresh.
The main difference is the amount of that delicious streusel topping. Coffee cake has a sprinkle, but streusel or crumb cake has chunks. of streusel.
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
Have you tried this recipe, or have a question? Join the community discussion in the comments.
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- ⅓ cup brown sugar - Light or Dark
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter - cold
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Preheat oven to 375°, not convection.
- Preheat oven to 375°, not convection. Spray a 9-inch baking pan with PAM or grease with butter.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ⅓ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Cut 3 tablespoons cold butter into the dry ingredients with a large fork until crumbly.
- Mix the wet ingredients: ¾ cup milk, ¼ cup oil, and 1 egg.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Combine well, then add the wet into the dry and mix until combined but do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle on the crumb topping.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean—about 25 minutes. Try to let the coffee cake cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
Your Own Private Notes
- The suggested pan size is a 9-inch round pan. But this will work fine in a variety of sizes. An 8 by 8 square or a 6 by 9 pan are good alternatives.
- A double batch will fit well in a 9 by 13 cake pan.
- Never use aluminum-containing baking powder.
- Chopped nuts are a good addition to the topping.
- To store this coffee cake, seal it tightly. It is ok at room temperature for 1-2 days. Better at 1 day than two. You can refrigerate and double the storage time. It will freeze well for 3 months.
- To reheat, use a microwave on high for 10-15 seconds, and it will be much better than cold. Almost as good as fresh.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Editor's note: Originally Published January 1, 2013. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.