Start with some skinless boneless chicken breast and cook in a slow cooker in spiced up salsa until it falls apart. Shred and add some sour cream, corn and black beans.
Notes: Scale to make the amount you want. The three breast make a HUGE amount of shredded chicken but it should freeze well. A good 12 large serving, probable more, we lost count. The white corn is much more tender and sweet than the standard corn and is highly recommended. Trust me on this, I'm from Iowa and we know corn. If you want a "plain" Mexican shredded chicken, skip the additions after the shredding but do finish up the 8 hour cooking.
- about 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast trimmed
- 2 cups salsa (I like medium Pace or Chi-Chi's)
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pound frozen white corn
- 1 - 14 oz can black beans rinsed
1) Start with about 2 pounds of chicken, trim well and remove that little piece of meat/fat on the rib portion.2) Mix 2 cups of salsa of choice with 1 T chili powder, 1/4 t of oregano and cumin in the crock pot. Place the trimmed chicken breast in the salsa, push to bottom and cover with some of the salsa.3) Start the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. At 7 hours, remove the chicken to a chopping board and shred with two forks and place back in crock pot. 4) Add 1 cup sour cream, 1 pound of frozen corn. Rinse a 14 oz can of black beans under running water and add that also.5) Mix well and cook for the last hour.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 servings