Great Southwest taste with this crock pot chicken and black beans that you can use for burritos, nachos, or many other ways.
This is one of those “I read the recipe, but I changed a lot” things. I have chicken, and I had the crock pot, but I wanted something a little different. I ended up with
Crock-Pot Chicken With Black Beans & Cream Cheese at Food.com. But it just wasn’t quite right. First, it made way too much. Second, I didn’t want cream cheese. And finally, I felt the technique including the cooking time was off.
A high 4 or low 5. Very nice and almost no work.
I like sour cream with my Mexican, so I added some sour cream at the very end. I did not want to cook it much and have it separate.
My ratio of beans to meat is double the model recipe. I like beans plus I wanted the recipe to scream “black beans.”
I also made some adjustments to the cooking time. I find that skinless boneless chicken breast cooked more than 6 hours on low tends to be dry (overcooked).
I tried to keep the liquid to a minimum, so I didn’t have soup. It was fine.
Lots of the comment on the original recipe were about it being too bland. I needed to decrease the salsa which would make it worse, but I add spices to make up to the blandness. This was medium to a little light on the spiciness so adjust for your taste.
You can use fresh garlic and onion, but with the cut-down recipe, it would only need half a small onion and one clove of garlic. I went with powder.
I used this for nachos, but it would be wonderful in a tortilla, burrito or almost any Mexican dish.
Other Crock Pot Tex-Mex Recipes
Trim chicken of any trimmable fat.
Drain and rinse a 15 oz can of black beans.
To a smaller crock pot, add the black beans, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 cup salsa, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
Add the chicken into the mixture and spoon some on top. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
About 1 hour before the end of cooking, remove the chicken breasts and shred. Place back in the pot and finish cooking. About 5 minutes before done, optionally add 1/2 cup sour cream.
Serve as you wish.
Do you want more recipes from 101 Cooking for Two? Sign up for the newsletter and get all posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Crock Pot Black Beans and Chicken
- 2 Skinless boneless chicken breast - about 1 1/2 lbs
- 15 oz black beans - drained
- 1 cup corn - frozen
- 1 cup salsa - thick and medium spicy preferred
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream - optional
- Trim chicken of any trimmable fat.
- Drain and rinse a 15 oz can of black beans.
- To a smaller crock pot, add the black beans, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 cup salsa, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well
- Place the chicken into the mixture and spoon some on top. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- About 1 hour before the end of cooking, remove the chicken breasts and shred. Place back in the pot and finish cooking.
- About 5 minutes before done, optionally add 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Serve as you wish.
Nutrition is generally for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.