This delicious Apple Cinnamon Bread is easy to make from scratch with everyday ingredients. It is packed with apple and cinnamon with a streusel topping the whole family will love.
- 🍎Ingredients for Apple Cinnamon Bread
- 👨🍳How to Make Apple Cinnamon Bread
- ✔️Tips for the best apple cinnamon bread
- 🍎Other apple recipes you will love
- ⬇️How to make this apple bread for two
- ❓What are the Best Apples to Use for Apple Cinnamon Bread
- How to store leftovers
- Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
- 📖 Recipe
Perfect for fall but excellent all year round, this homemade apple cinnamon bread is moist and flavorful. An excellent way to use two apples and a few pantry ingredients, it is perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert.
Inspired by Better Homes and Gardens Apple Pie Bread, which can also be called apple bread, apple pie bread, or cinnamon apple bread.
🍎Ingredients for Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Apples—Granny Smith or Gala preferred
- Pantry ingredients—vanilla extract, light brown sugar, flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg (optional but suggested), and salt
- Optional Additives—walnuts or pecans, raisins
👨🍳How to Make Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Preheat the oven and prep a loaf pan.
- Shred or chop the apples and mix the streusel topping of butter, flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Combine dry flour, baking powder, salt, and spices ingredients in a separate bowl.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine softened butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, and brown sugar—beat until creamy.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and fold in the apples.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and cover with the topping.
- Bake until the toothpick comes out clean—about one hour.
- Cool before cutting.
This is a summary of the steps and ingredients. See the recipe card or the step-by-step photo instructions below for complete instructions.
✔️Tips for the best apple cinnamon bread
- Shredding all or part of the apples will release the juices and enhance flavor.
- Use a firmer tarter apple variety, or a sweeter, softer apple is fine.
- To get moist and tender apple bread, be sure the baking powder is not outdated and do not over-mix.
- Add the nutmeg for a more apple spice flavor.
- Topping is optional. A sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar mix is good, or a vanilla glaze after the loaf has cooled.
- Add some chopped apple to the topping for a great topping.
⬇️How to make this apple bread for two
This recipe makes a standard-size loaf, which is about 12 servings, depending on the size of the servings—more than some smaller households will want to make.
Mini loaves can be made in standard 3 by 5 ¾ inch mini loaf pans, which are ⅓ of the size and make 4 servings. Or make three and freeze two for later or give them as gifts.
- Use the recipe card and adjust the number of servings from 12 to 4.
- Use the amount of ingredients in the ingredient list, not the instructions—those do not adjust.
- Cooking time will be 25 to 30 minutes—use the toothpick test.
❓What are the Best Apples to Use for Apple Cinnamon Bread
Granny Smith and Gala apples are excellent choices, but Cortland, Ida Red, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Pink Lady, and Roma also work well. I believe it is more a matter of individual taste.
But really, the apples you love and have in the house are usually the best choice for you. I do suggest avoiding Red Delicious or Macintosh.
How to store leftovers
Store like it was banana bread, which means well sealed in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days.
You can freeze apple bread for 3 months. I suggest cutting them into slices and wrapping them individually before freezing them.
Reheat briefly in the microwave with a pat of butter.
Baking powder that contains aluminum can leave a metallic after-taste for many people (my wife and I included.) You will see aluminum-free and regular baking powder beside each other at the exact cost. The aluminum-free will usually have a label on the front.
"Standard" loaf pan size is 8-½ x 4-½ x 2-½ inches, but there are many sizes of loaf pans. A small pan will take longer to cook due to its thickness, and a larger pan will take longer due to the thinner loaf. As always, do not cook by time alone. Ovens differ—Cook to an endpoint, not time.
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
Have you tried this recipe, or have a question? Join the community discussion in the comments.
Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Prep a 5 by 9 loaf pan with butter and flour coating.
In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ - ½ teaspoon nutmeg (optional.)
Peel 2 large apples, then shred or chop to make about 2 cups of apple.
Mix topping with 2 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, add 1 stick (½ cup) of softened butter, 2 eggs, ¼ cup milk, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla—beat until creamy.
Slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Then add in the apple and mix.
Add to a floured loaf pan.
Add the topping. Bake at 350° until a toothpick comes out clean or the internal temperature is 200°—about 1 hour.
Cool before cutting.
Apple Cinnamon Bread
- 2 apples - large shredded - about 2 cups
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder - alunimum-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon nutmeg - optional
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans - optional
- ½ cup raisins - optional
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Prep a 5 by 9 loaf pan with butter and flour coating.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ - ½ teaspoon nutmeg (optional.)
- Peel 2 large apples, then shred or chop to make about 2 cups of apple.
- Mix topping with 2 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, add 1 stick (½ cup) of softened butter, 2 eggs, ¼ cup milk, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla—beat until creamy.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Then add in the apple and mix.
- Add to floured loaf pan and add topping.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick comes out clean or the internal temperature is 200°—about 1 hour.
- Cool before cutting.
Your Own Private Notes
- Granny Smith and Gala apples are both excellent choices. Other apples are discussed in the post.
- Depending on size, you may need more than two apples to get 2 cups of shredded or chopped apples.
- I suggested a 9 by 5 loaf pan. You can use the bit smaller, 8 ½ by 4 ½. It will be a bit thicker and take a bit longer to cook. Larger pans will cook faster.
- Please use aluminum-free baking powder. The other can leave an aftertaste.
- The endpoint of cooking is for a toothpick to come out clean. But you can also check the internal temperature—quick bread is done at 200°.
- Like banana bread, this can be stored at room temperature for about 4 days if sealed well. Freezing should be fine for 3 months.
- Instructions for mini loaves are in the post.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Originally Published October 7, 2014. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.