Easy and moist pumpkin bread is a great quick bread for a party or the office. Just follow these easy photo step by step instructions. Add some nuts or raisins to make it extra special.
Introduction and My Rating
I like quick breads: the moisture, the texture, and the variety of what you can do with them. Every fall explodes with pumpkin spice this or that. Here is my version of a quick and easy pumpkin spice bread.
I started by looking at Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin Bread. I shouldn't have been surprised with too many ingredients and too much work...lazy me again.
I checked Libby's pumpkin bread and ended up combining 3-4 recipes with excellent, easy results.
I'm at a low 5 or high 4.
About the sugar.
I like sweet, but there is a lot of sugar for a quick bread in the model recipes. I did cut that back some.
So if you are looking for a pile of sugar with some pumpkin spice taste, check other recipes. I think I have the balance just right here.
The Pumpkin Spice Seasoning
I was going to buy "pumpkin pie spice" but almost $7 for a tiny container. Wow, what a rip-off. I don't care much about $7, but I don't like gross overcharges.
I did a homemade version modeled from several online versions. So I have included options for either in the recipe.
Loaf Pans Size
There are many sizes of loaf pans. A small pan will take longer to cook due to the thickness and larger pan faster due to the loaf being thinner. As always, do not cook by time alone. Ovens differ—Cook to an endpoint, not time.
Lastly, I added chopped walnuts, and I really can't see doing this without them.
Do you want to go straight to the top of the pumpkin recipes? Check out Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake.
📖Quick Bread Recipes
Preheat oven to 350°.
Prep loaf pan a light coat of butter then coat with flour. I used 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches.
Mix dry ingredients. Two cups flour, one cup sugar, one tablespoon baking powder, one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Mix well. You can use pumpkin spice seasoning instead of the individual spices.
Mix wet ingredients by hand or with a mixer. One egg, 1/2 cup milk, four tablespoons softened butter, and one 14oz can of pumpkin.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Optionally add 1 cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins at this point. I went with nuts only.
Spread into the prepped pan.
Bake for about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to rack to cook.
Easy Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- 14 oz pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts - optional
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin spice seasoning - buy or used ingredients below
home made pumpkin spice mix if needed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prep a 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan a light coat of butter then shake in a light coat of flour.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Two cups flour, one cup sugar, one tablespoon baking powder, one teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice seasoning.
- In a seperate bowl, mix 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 4 tablespoons softened butter, and one 14oz can of pumpkin. You can do this by hand or with a mixer.
- Mix wet into dry. Optionally add one cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins at this point.
- Spread into the prepped pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to rack to cool.
- I have cut back the sugar. You may up it a little if you want.
- Never use baking powder with aluminum.
- You may substitute for pumpkin spice seasoning with one teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Mix well.
- Check for the endpoint with a toothpick. You insert it into the center of the loaf, and it should come out clean.
- There are many sizes of loaf pans. A small pan will take longer to cook due to the thickness and larger pan faster due to the loaf being thinner. As always, do not cook by time alone. Ovens differ. Cook to an endpoint and not by time.
- A light sprinkle of sugar just before going into the oven is a nice little touch.
- Good at room temperature for about 3 days if sealed air-tight. You can also freeze for 3-4 months.
Editor's Note: Originally Published November 7, 2014. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos and a table of contents to help navigation.