Easy and moist pumpkin bread is a great quick bread for a party or the office. Just follow these easy photo step by step instructions. Add some nuts or raisins to make it extra special.
Editor’s Note: Originally Published November 7, 2014. Updated with expanded text and re-edited photos. Please enjoy this seasonal treat.
I like a quick bread. The moisture, the texture and the variety of what you can do with them. We are coming into the “food season” for us food bloggers, so this just had to be done.
I started by looking at Cook’s Illustrated Pumpkin Bread. I shouldn’t have been surprised with too many ingredients and too much work…lazy me again.
I checked Libby’s pumpkin bread and ended up combining 3-4 recipes with excellent, easy results.
I’m at a low 5 or high 4.
Recipe Tips: Pumpkin Spice Bread
About the sugar.
I like sweet, but really there is a lot of sugar for a quick bread in the model recipes. I did cut that back some.
So if you are looking for a pile of sugar with some pumpkin spice taste, check other recipes. I think I have the balance just right here.
The Pumpkin Spice Seasoning
I was going to buy “pumpkin pie spice” but almost $7 for a tiny container. Wow, what a rip-off. I don’t care much about $7, but I don’t like gross overcharges.
I did a homemade version modeled from several online versions. So I have included options for either in the recipe.
Loaf Pans Size
There are many sizes of loaf pans. A small pan will take longer to cook due to the thickness and larger pan faster due to the loaf being thinner. As always, do not cook by time alone. Ovens differ. Cook to an endpoint, not time.
Lastly, I added chopped walnuts, and I really can’t see doing this without them.
Do you want to go straight to the top of pumpkin recipes? Check out Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake .
Other Quick Bread Recipes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prep loaf pan a light coat of butter then coat with flour. I used 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches.
Mix dry ingredients. Two cups flour, one cup sugar, one tablespoon baking powder, one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Mix well.
Mix wet with mixer. One egg, 1/2 cup milk, four tablespoons softened butter and one 14oz can of pumpkin.
Mix wet into dry. Add 1 cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins at this point. I went with nuts only.
Spread into the prepped pan.
Bake for about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to rack to cook.
Easy Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- 14 oz pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts - optional
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin spice seasoning - buy or used ingredients below
home made pumpkin spice mix if needed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep loaf pan a light coat of butter then coat with flour. I use 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches
- Mix dry ingredients together. Two cups flour, one cup sugar, one tablespoon baking powder, one teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice seasoning. May substitute for pumpkin spice seasoning with one teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Mix well.
- Mix wet with mixer. One egg, 1/2 cup milk, four tablespoons softened butter and one 14oz can of pumpkin.
- Mix wet into dry. Add one cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins at this point.
- Spread into the prepped pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to rack to cool.
- I have cut back the sugar. You may up it a little if you want.
- Never use baking powder with aluminum.
- If you don't have pumpkin spice seasoning, then use the substitute seasonings in the ingredients. DO NOT DO BOTH.
- Check for the endpoint with a toothpick. You insert it into the center of the loaf, and it should come out clean.
- There are many sizes of loaf pans. A small pan will take longer to cook due to the thickness and larger pan faster due to the loaf being thinner. As always, do not cook by time alone. Ovens differ. Cook to an endpoint and not by time.
- A light sprinkle of sugar just before going into the oven is a nice little touch.
Have a question or something not clear? Ask in the comments.Do you want more recipes from 101 Cooking for Two? Sign up for the newsletter and get all posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Nutrition is for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, the pleasure of a nice 4 or 5 rating would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Published November 7, 2014.