This is a simple old fashion style pot pie. The ATK (American Test Kitchen) recipe has 25 ingredients. I have 10. Guess which one has less work? It's got great taste that warms to the bone.
Notes: Be sure to cut the carrots thin. I had a few that were thicker and they could have cooked a little longer. Quarter inch is just about right. Other veggies are fine but you need about 2 cups total so mix and match what you want. If you want to be a little fancier, add some rosemary or other spices.
- 2 pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 large or 2 medium skinless boneless chicken breasts trimmed and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
- one small to medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots pealed and diced 1/4 in max.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 - 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375 convection. Dice one small to medium onion and 2 carrots. Try to keep the carrots no thicker than 1/4 inch.2) Clean and cut two skinless boneless chicken breasts into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. If you have one of those huge breasts, one will do.3) Use a large pan over medium high heat with 2 t oil. Add chicken. Add the onion and cook until onion is clear and chicken can be easily broken with a wooden spoon. About 10 minutes.4) While chicken cooks, mix 1/2 cup milk with 1/3 cup of flour and mix well. I'm using a Tupperware shaker but you could whisk in a bowl.5) When the chicken is cooked, move it to a bowl and set aside. Leave as much of any liquid in the pan and the onion doesn't matter if it stays with the liquid.6) Add one 14 oz can chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then decrease to medium. Slowly add the milk/flour mixture while whisking continuously. Continue to whisk until thickened about 2-3 minutes. 7) Add the chicken and veggies to the gravy and simmer while you get your pie crust ready if not done already.8) Add the mixture to the pie crust. Cover with a second crust. Pinch the edges together and vent.9) Bake and after about 20 minutes protect the edge of the the crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.10) Bake for about total 40 minutes until golden brown. Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 9" pie