A delicious and healthy Italian Vegetable Soup that fits almost all diets: low fat, low calories, and low carb. Just follow the easy step by step photo instructions.
Editor Note: Originally published December 8, 2011. This recipe needed to “come in from the cold” with expanded discussion, and refreshed photos.
We are all starting some dieting. How well it will go is unknown, but this is a great start.
At about 122 calories per cup, less than 1 gram of fat, and about 11 grams of carbohydrates, it’s good for both low fat and low carb diets. Plus, you get lots of veggies.
Very good, and you won’t even think you’re on a diet.
Pro Tips: Recipe Notes about Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
This is just a basic crock pot soup with some added Italian taste. I did not add any fats or things like beans or pasta. It does have enough fluid to support those additions, but they are not needed.
What Chicken to Use?
Skinless boneless chicken breasts are the obvious answer. You could use thighs. Skin never does good in soup unless you are trying to create the broth from water.
What Veggies to Use?
I chose traditional veggies: carrots, celery, and green beans. I wanted a leafy component in this soup, and just the celery leaves added a nice touch.
The volume of liquid could support some zucchini or just an increase in the veggies that are already present.
Crock Pot Size and Storage of This Soup
This makes over 3 quarts of soup as written and needs a larger crock pot. You can easily cut the amount down for a smaller crock pot. Remember, a crock pot should not be more than 3/4 full.
To store this soup, seal tightly, and it will be good refrigerated for 3-4 days and good in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Healthier Chili and Soup Recipes You Will Enjoy
Trim and cube 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast.
Clean and chop one large onion, four stalks of celery (you may include the celery leafs if you want), and four medium carrots.
Combine chicken and veggies with 1 tablespoon minced garlic, three cans chicken broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, one 6 oz can tomato paste, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 pound frozen green beans.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Do you want more recipes from 101 Cooking for Two? Sign up for the newsletter and get all posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Crock Pot Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts - trimmed and cubed
- 1 onion - large medium chopped
- 4 carrots - medium chopped
- 4 stalks celery - diced
- 42 oz chicken broth
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder - crushed or minced
- 1 pound frozen green beans
- Trim and cube 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast.
- Clean and chop one large onion, 4 stalks of celery (you may include the celery leafs if you want), and 4 medium carrots.
- Combine chicken and veggies with 1 tablespoon minced garlic, three cans chicken broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, one 6 oz can tomato paste, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 pound frozen green beans.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- You can use other chicken, like thighs, but that will increase the fat.
- Nutrition is based on 1 cup-sized serving.
- Easy to cut in half.
- This requires a larger crock pot.
- Good refrigerated for 3-4 days and good in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Nutrition is generally for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.