A wonderfully tasty and healthy slow cooker soup that is good for almost any diet. Just follow the easy step by step photo instructions.
Editor Note: This recipe was first published on October 14, 2012. Honestly, it was not the best-written post, but it is a great recipe and deserved more. So it is rewritten and photos updated.
This super easy and tasty soup fits low calorie and low fat. So this soup has earned the term “healthy.”
For the lower carb/keto diets, it is relatively low with most of the carbs from the corn which you can cut back or change if you want to green beans.
I will not try to calculate anything to do with Weight Watcher’s points. They keep changing it, so I gave up.
Somewhat inspired by a food.com recipe with only a few minor changes. I cut what appeared to be some unnecessary butter and a few other minor changes.
A very nice soup that is healthy enough to be a basic part of almost any diet and tasty enough even if you’re not dieting.
Pro Tips: Recipe Notes for Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
What Chicken to Use
To make a healthier soup, the obvious choice is skinless boneless chicken breast. They vary a lot in size but is it soup, a little more or a little less is fine.
But these chicken breasts can be a bit low on taste due to the lack of skin, bones, and fat. I use a soup base to give it this that extra pop of chicken flavor. Decide at the end of cooking if you want the extra taste or not.
The sodium can creep on soups, so use low sodium broth and do not add any salt until you are sure you need it.
For the low carb or keto diet people, this has 26 grams of carbohydrates and only three of that is fiber. This still fits well in lower-carb diets easily but not very low carb diets.
Most of the carbs are from the corn. You can change that out for green beans and save about 16 grams of net carbs per serving.
This is a fairly “brothy” soup. But I think most of you will be happy with that. You can cut the broth down be a can or up some of the veggies or the chicken.
The oregano went well with the extra sweetness of the white corn, but my wife thought a bay leaf might have been more to her taste.
While I have the thyme in the recipe, I consider it optional. It seems like thyme in a soup tends to dominate everything for me. If you love it fine, but I generally leave it out.
Check out my tops soups at Our Best Soups
Healthier Chili and Soup Recipes You Will Enjoy
Nice basic common ingredients.
Chop 2 peeled carrots, two ribs of celery, and one medium onion.
Trim and cut two medium skinless boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
Add broth to the crock pot — 4-Quart size minimum for the full recipe.
Add veggies, four cloves minced garlic, 4 – 14 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. If you like thyme, add 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Salt to taste. 16 oz package of frozen white corn or green beans for low carb. Add chicken and mix well.
Cook for 8 hrs on low. With about one hour left in cooking, taste test. You can add a bit of salt if needed. If you want more “chicken taste,” add some soup base or bouillon cubes.
Do you want more recipes from 101 Cooking for Two? Sign up for the newsletter and get all posts delivered straight to your inbox!
Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts - medium cut into 1 inch cubes
- 56 oz low-sodium chicken broth - 4 - 14 oz cans
- 1 pound frozen corn - green beans for low carb.
- 1 onion - medium diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme - Optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Chicken soup base - or 2 bouillon cubes (Optional)
- Chop 2 peeled carrots, two ribs of celery, and one medium onion.
- Trim and cut two medium skinless boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Add broth to the crock pot — 4-Quart size minimum for the full recipe.
- Add veggies, four cloves minced garlic, 4 - 14 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1/ 2 teaspoon pepper. If you like thyme, add 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Salt to taste. 16 oz package of frozen white corn or green beans for low carb. Add chicken and mix well.
- Cook for 8 hrs on low. With about one hour left in cooking, taste test. You can add a bit of salt if needed. If you want more "chicken taste", add some soup base or bouillon cubes.
- This is low sodium as written, but also many will want to add a bit of salt at serving. I have not included that in the nutrition.
- The soup base or chicken bouillon cubes are at add extra chicken taste. It is optional, but I like it. You can wait to near the end of cooking to decide if you are adding it or not.
- Fill free to change up the veggies if you want.
- As written, this makes about 12 cups of soup, and I'm suggesting a 2 cup serving size since it is "brothy."
- The crock pot needs to be 4 quarts or bigger as written.
- It is an easy recipe to cut in half and would fit well in a smaller crock pot but not smaller than 2 quarts.
- If you want lower carb or keto, then using green beans instead of corn will decrease the net carbs by 16 per serving.
- This is good refrigerated for 3-4 days and frozen for 3-4 months.
Nutrition is generally for one serving. Number of servings is stated above and is my estimate of normal serving size for this recipe.
All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. This is home cooking, and there are many variables. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used.