This healthy chicken vegetable soup is packed with tasty vegetables but no noodles. A delicious recipe that is easy to make in your crock pot that is low-fat and low-sodium.
This super easy and tasty soup fits low-calorie, low-fat, and low sodium. So this soup has earned the term "healthy."
For the lower carb/keto diets, it is relatively low with most of the carbs from the corn, which you can cut back or change if you want to green beans.
I will not calculate anything to do with Weight Watcher's points. They kept changing it, so I gave up.
It was somewhat inspired by a food.com recipe with only a few minor changes. I cut what appeared to be some unnecessary butter and a few other minor changes.
A very nice soup that is healthy enough to be a fundamental part of almost any diet and tasty enough even if you're not dieting.
🐓Ingredients for Chicken Vegetable Soup
To make a healthier soup, the obvious choice is skinless boneless chicken breast. They vary a lot in size but is it soup, a little more or a little less chicken is fine.
But these chicken breasts can be a bit low on taste due to the lack of skin, bones, and fat. You can use a soup base to give it that extra pop of chicken flavor if needed. Decide at the end of cooking if you want the extra taste.
Skinless chicken thighs are an excellent choice and will provide a nice moist chicken and great taste. Of course, they will have increased the fat in the final soup.
Precooked Rotisserie Chicken
Yes. Each chicken breasts produce 1 ½ to 2 cups of shredded chicken, so to substitute for two chicken breasts, you will need 3 to 4 cups of rotisserie chicken.
If using rotisserie chicken or other precooked chicken, cook everything else in the crock pot until the vegetables are tender. Then add the cooked chicken and continue to cook until the chicken is hot.
The usual soup vegetable of carrots, corn, and celery are used. If you want a lower carbohydrate soup, replace the corn with green beans.
You can add frozen peas near the end of cooking. And you can also add a large diced potato.
One can of undrained diced tomatoes may be substituted for a can of chicken broth. You may need to add a touch of salt and black pepper for the tomatoes.
For aromatic vegetables, the usual onion and garlic are recommended.
But this is soup, so load it up with the veggies you love.
There is no need to precook the vegetables.
Chicken broth or stock are good choices. Try to use low or sodium-free versions if you want low-sodium soup.
I do not suggest water or vegetable broth since more chicken taste is commonly needed if using chicken breasts.
I suggest only adding salt near the end of cooking if needed. Oregano and basil are recommended spices. But you may use Italian seasoning instead.
Other spices or fresh herbs can be added, like rosemary or a bay leaf.
👨🍳How to Cook Chicken Vegetable Soup in a Crock Pot
- Chop the carrots, celery and onion.
- Trim and cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch chunks.
- Add all ingredients to a smaller crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
As written, this recipe needs a 3 ½ quart or larger crock pot. A half recipe needs a 2-quart size.
3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. The raw chicken needs to be cooked to 165°, and the vegetables must be tender.
Yes, you can add noodles or other pasta if you wish.
If you want noodles, cook your pasta to al dente and add them at the end of cooking.
To make low sodium soup, use low sodium or sodium-free chicken broth. Also, don't add additional salt until you taste test the soup near the end of cooking.
❄️Storage of Chicken Vegetable Soup
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed container for 3-4 days. To freeze, the soup should be sealed in an airtight container and frozen for 3-4 months.
To reheat your soup, thaw if frozen first. Then reheat either in a stovetop pan or the microwave.
📖Healthier Chili and Soup Recipes
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Use low sodium or sodium-free broth if you want low sodium soup.
Chop 2 peeled carrots, two ribs of celery, and one medium onion.
Trim and cut two medium skinless boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
Add broth to the crock pot — 3 ½ quart size minimum for the full recipe.
Add veggies, 2-4 cloves minced garlic, 3 - 14 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth, 1 teaspoon oregano, and ½ teaspoon pepper. If you like thyme, add ½ teaspoon of thyme. Salt to taste. 16 oz package of frozen white corn or green beans for low carb. Add chicken and mix well.
Cook for 7-8 hrs on low or 3-4 hours on high. With about one hour left in cooking, the taste test. You can add a bit of salt if needed. If you want more "chicken taste," add some soup base or bouillon cubes.
Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts - medium cut into 1 inch cubes
- 42 oz low-sodium chicken broth - 3 - 14 oz cans
- 1 pound frozen corn
- 1 onion - medium diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- 1 bay leaf - optional
- 1 teaspoon oregano - optional
- ½ teaspoon thyme - optional
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chicken soup base - or 2 bouillon cubes (Optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas - optional, add the last hour of cooking
- 2 cups froze green beans - optional
- 1 large russet potato - optional-peeled and diced
- Use low sodium or sodium-free broth if you want low sodium soup.
- Chop 2 peeled carrots, two ribs of celery, and one medium onion.
- Trim and cut two medium skinless boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Add veggies, 2-4 cloves minced garlic, 3 - 14 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth, 1 teaspoon oregano, and ½ teaspoon pepper. If you like thyme, add ½ teaspoon of thyme. Salt to taste. 16 oz package of frozen white corn or green beans for low carb. Add chicken and mix well.
- Add broth to the crock pot — 3 ½ quart size minimum for the full recipe.
- Cook for 7-8 hrs on low or 3-4 hours on high. With about one hour left in cooking, the taste test. You can add a bit of salt if needed. If you want more "chicken taste," add some soup base or bouillon cubes.
My Private Notes
- This is low sodium as written, but also many will want to add a bit of salt at serving. I have not included that in the nutrition.
- The soup base or chicken bouillon cubes are at add extra chicken taste. It is optional, but I like it. You can wait to near the end of cooking to decide if you are adding it or not.
- Fill free to change up the veggies and spices if you want.
- As written, this makes about 11 cups of soup, and I'm suggesting a 2 cup serving size since it is "brothy."
- The crock pot needs to be 3.5 quarts or bigger as written. A half recipe will fit in a 2-quart crock pot.
- It is an easy recipe to cut in half and would fit well in a smaller crock pot but not smaller than 2 quarts.
- If you want lower carb or keto, then using green beans instead of corn will decrease the net carbs by 16 per serving.
- This is good refrigerated for 3-4 days and frozen for 3-4 months.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Editor Note: This recipe was first published on October 14, 2012. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.