Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes AKA Crack Potatoes or Funeral Potatoes are so easy and so good. From scratch with real raw potatoes, no frozen potatoes here. A wonderful side dish for any meal.
One of the common searches that bounce into my site is for crock pot shredded pork tenderloin. I didn't have one, but a "fake" pulled pork in a crock pot would be good eats for a few days. So I came up with Crock Pot Shredded Pork Tenderloin.
I was walking around the local market and trying to avoid the chips as a side dish. I would love cheesy potatoes but time and work restraints were an issue.
I based this on our old family recipe Old Fashion Cheesy Potato Casserole that is reserved for special occasions since it is too much work.
You have to boil the potatoes, peel the potatoes, cool the potatoes, shred the potatoes, mix with other things and bake. I have done it but usually, it is a "team" activity. My popular Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is also based on that recipe.
My plan: start with a pound of potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes. Cook in a slow cooker for a few hours until done. Now mash, add the goodies and cook for another 30 minutes or so. You can handle this.
I so love a great potato casserole.
I don't like frozen potatoes of any type for recipes like this. There are definite taste and texture issues. It is ok with frozen, but it is fantastic with cooking your own potatoes.
We usually use Russet potatoes, but any potato type will do. You just need to get the size of the chunks to about 1 inch.
♨️The Crock Pot
The thicker the contents, the longer the cooking time. With the one inch cubes, it is best to keep it as one layer. So a large crock pot is best.
If you need to use a smaller crock pot or you increase the recipe size, you need to check the temperature of the cooked potatoes before mixing. It needs to be 190° or more.
Make It Crack Potatoes
Bacon is a great addition to this but not really necessary. Just cook 2-3 slices of bacon, crumble, and add to the casserole during mixing.
Good refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for 3-4 months.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Start by peeling and cubing about 1 pound of potatoes. I used two large russets, but three medium would be just right. Make the cubes about 1-inch size.
Spray a large crock pot with PAM and toss them in.
Spread evenly and cook on high for two hours. You want an internal temperature of 190° or more for the potatoes. It may take longer than 2 hours if you need more than one layer or have bigger pieces of potato. Also, there are variations in crock pots.
Mash the potatoes in the crock pot.
Clean and slice six green onions.
Sprinkle with one teaspoon coarse salt, ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the sliced green onion, 1 cup sour cream and one cup shredded cheddar cheese. Add cooked bacon or other things at this point. Mix until combined and then smooth over the bottom of the crock pot.
Cook 30 minutes more on high.
Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes from Real Potatoes
- 1 pound potatoes - raw
- 6 green onions
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- 2-3 strips cooked bacon - optional
- Start by peeling and cubing about 1 pound of potatoes. Two large russets or three medium would be just right. Make 1-inch cubes
- Spread evenly in the bottom of a large crock pot sparyed with PAM.
- Cook on high for two hours. You want an internal temperature of 190° or more for the potatoes. It may take longer than 2 hours if you need more than one layer or have bigger pieces of potato. Also, there is some variation in crock pots.
- Mash the potatoes in the crock pot.
- Clean and slice six green onions.
- Sprinkle with one teaspoon coarse salt, ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the sliced green onion, 1 cup sour cream and one cup shredded cheddar cheese. Add cooked bacon or other things at this point. Mix until combined and then smooth over the bottom of the crock pot.
- Cook 30 minutes more on high.
My Private Notes
- Use a large crockpot to make the thickness of the potatoes less.
- Ues the potatoes you want.
- Cook the potatoes to 190° or more. It may take longer if you need to pile up the potatoes. Also, crock pots can vary so the potatoes need to be fully cooked before proceeding with mashing. It may take longer than the 2 hours.
- Add 3 strips of cooked chopped up bacon with the sour cream if you want.
- Good refrigerated for 3-4 days. Or frozen for 3-4 months.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Editors Note: Originally Published July 6, 2014. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.