Low fat sausage gravy and biscuits. Yep, the classic southern dinner breakfast comfort food can become a regular without by-pass surgery. A one biscuit (two halves) plus sausage gravy goes from 540 calories with 34 grams of fat to 220 with 3 grams of fat. Amazing.
I started with my no fat biscuits, added some sausage gravy with turkey sausage and non fat milk. For the gravy I used a Pioneer Woman recipe as the model for spicing but otherwise unrecognizable.
Notes: As I said in my No Fat biscuit post, the texture and taste are a little different but not much with the biscuits. The gravy is not as quit as creamy but almost. You will live longer with this version.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1¼ cup non fat yogurt
- ½ pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¼ cup AP flour
- 1 tsp seasoning salt (I used Lowery's)
- ½ tsp pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 convection or 425 regular.
- Combine 2 cups AP flour, 1 T baking powder, ½ t baking soda, 1 t salt. Mix well. Add 1¼ cup non fat yogurt. Fold in until all dry is incorporated.
- Make 8 drop biscuits on a PAM sprayed baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown .About 12 minutes.
- While biscuits are baking, brown ½ pound of turkey breakfast sausage
- Whisk together ¼ cup flour with 2 cups skim milk. I used a Tupperware shaker.
- Slowly add the milk-flour mixture to the sausage over medium heat while whisking. Continue to whisk and this will start thickening in a few minutes. Add 1 tsp seasoning salt and ½ tsp pepper (or to taste). Simmer another 5-10 minutes.
June 15 2014