I’m call you out Chili’s. Chicken fajitas from scratch in less than 30 minutes from starting to get the ingredients out to serving (28 minutes really) and including heating the grill. And mine tastes better.
You’ve seen the recipes but you never try them. You know, the recipes on the packing material of your new toy. But this time it was just what I was thinking of anyways. I simplified the technique some and cut the cooking time on the veggies or they would be burnt toast. And the chicken took a few more minutes then the recipe stated. All these are corrected in my version.
I have a new toy, the La Plancha Cast-Iron Griddle from William-Sonoma. An early Father day present from my wife. This is made for the grill, stove top or oven.
Rating: 9.2 Taste 9 Ease 9.5 Serves 4.
Notes: You could do this on the stove top with skillets. There are other griddles made for grills also. Add some cumin if you want spicy.
Special tools: Griddle for the grill. I believe you could also use various cast iron utensils.
2 Skinless boneless chicken breast cut cross grain about 1/2 inch thick
2 T Olive Oil
1 glove minced garlic
1/2 T red wine vinegar
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1 large yellow onion sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 peppers (color of your choice) seeded and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1-2 T olive oil (enough to coat the peppers and onion)
1/2 t salt
8-10 warm corn or flour tortillas
1) Preheat grill with griddle in place on high.
2) In a medium bowl whisk all marinade ingredients together. Clean and cut chicken. Add chicken to the marinade. Mix well and let set at room temp for at least 10 minutes. Refrigerate if not being used within 30 minutes.
3) Cut onion and peppers and coat with 1 T olive oil and 1/4 t salt.
4) After grill is preheated for at least 10 minutes. Place vegetables on the griddle and stirring occasionally, cook about 6 minutes until starting to brown and softening. If browning to fast, turn down heat. Move to cooler part of grill.
5) Place chicken on griddle and cook for about 6-8 minutes until cooked well. Stir every few minutes along with the veggies. You should be able to cut the chicken with a wooden spoon when done. Then mix in vegetables and stir well. Serve.