Sweet and spicy fresh pineapple mango salsa is the perfect change of pace to everybody's favorite side dish. An easy-to-make fresh fruit salsa will go with fish, chicken, tacos, or used as a dip.
I was on a Mexican spree when I first did this recipe years ago. I have repeated it many times since. It is one of my wife's favorites and has been a main Mexican side dish. Please give this great side dish a try.
Salsa is more Central and South American from the 15th century and not really Mexican. Will we all know the red tomato-based salsa rajo, any fruit or vegetables can be used.
Pineapple mango salsa is simple to whip up. Wonderfully tasty and a great compliment to spicy Mexican foods. Just a little slicing and dicing, and you're there. Perfect for a party and friends.
An easy 5. My wife has tried to live on it several times.
Fresh pineapple trimmed into a small dice that will fit on a tortilla chip.
Do I have to use pineapple? No, but double the mango.
What to do with the other half of the pineapple? Double the recipe, slice and eat, or send it to me.
Can I use canned pineapple? Yes, but you don't really want to do that. Fresh pineapple is excellent. But if you insist, a 20 oz can of chunks drained equals the 2 cups that half of the fresh pineapple will yield.
A good mango should be firm but not rock hard and not mushy.
Do I have to use mango? It is called mango salsa, but since you asked, you can substitute ½ of pineapple for the mango.
You will see fresh cilantro in the ingredients, but some of the pictures (the newer ones) do not show it. We do not like cilantro in this house. Both my wife and I do not like the taste. I have left in the ingredients, but I don't use them. PS a large number of people have this issue.
The recipe uses one jalapeno minced—adjust up or down to adjust the spiciness.
Red Bell Pepper and Red Onion.
The bell pepper will add some great color, crunchiness, and taste. And the red onion adds some mild onion taste.
Like the red pepper, it will add some great color against the yellow of the pineapple and mango. A good-sized plum or Roma tomato will work best since it will have more meat and less juice and seeds.
The fresh lime juice from one lime is about two tablespoons of concentrated lime juice. Some lime zest can be added to boost the flavor.
Other Possible Ingredients
Avocado, peach, strawberry, or corn are good additions or substitutes.
👨🍳How to Make Pineapple Mango Salsa
- This is recipe is mostly a good cutting board and a sharp knife.
- Clean and trim the pineapple, tomato, and red bell pepper into ¼ inch pieces.
- Clean the jalapeno by cutting off the ends then removing the seeds and vein. Cut by mincing small.
- Dice the red onion into ⅛ inch small dice.
- Clean and dice the mango into ¼ inch pieces.
- Combine into a large bowl and add the juice of one lime. Stir well.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or more before serving.
1) Cut a disk off both sides of the mango as close as possible to the pit.
2) Crosscut the disks.
3) Turn the disks inside out, then cut off the chunks. You can try to get more out of the part with the pit, but it won't be much.
Images licensed from Adobe stock. May 16, 2018. Copyright ©RomainQuéré - stock.adobe.com. Modified per allow by licensed.
I like to cover with plastic wrap and push down over the leftovers to eliminate the trapped air. Then add a tight cover on top. Good refrigerated for 2-3 days.
Freezing will affect the texture severely and is generally not recommended.
This is a cut-down recipe. A "double" recipe will be a more efficient use of ingredients, but this size fits our eating habits, and two of us consume it in 2 days. The half pineapple stores well.
So double the recipe for larger households.
You can also adjust the ingredients. Eliminate the mango and use the other half of the pineapple. Or eliminate the pineapple and add another mango.
Our favorite is always just as a dip for corn chips— a combo that makes a great side dish for almost any Mexican dish, chicken, or seafood. Or a topping for fish or shrimp tacos.
You can also marinate chicken breasts for about an hour and then grill or bake. Due to the acid in the pineapple, I do not recommend marinating longer.
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Start by cleaning the pineapple and pepper. Chop half the pineapple and half the pepper into ¼ inch pieces. A single recipe is suitable for smaller households but for parties, use a double recipe.
Clean the jalapeno by cutting off ends and de-seeding, then chop fine. Chop half of a small red onion into ⅛ inch pieces.
Chop the cilantro.
Cut the mango and the Roma tomato into ¼ inch pieces. If you need instructions on cutting up the mango, see the discussion above.
Add all to a large mixing bowl and add the juice of one lime. Mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving if your wife lets you.
Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 1 mango - chopped ¼ inch and peeled
- ½ fresh pineapple - chopped ¼ inch
- ½ red pepper - diced ¼ inch
- 1 Roma tomato - chopped ¼ inch
- ½ red onion - small chipped ⅛ inch
- 1 jalapeno - cored and seeded chopped very finely
- 3 tablespoons cilantro - chopped optional
- 1 lime
- Start by cleaning the pineapple and pepper. Chop half the pineapple and half the pepper into ¼ inch pieces. A single recipe is suitable for smaller households but for parties, use a double recipe.
- Clean the jalapeno by cutting off ends and de-seeding, then chop fine. Chop half of a small red onion into ⅛ inch pieces.
- Chop the cilantro.
- Cut the mango and the Roma tomato into ¼ inch pieces. If you need instructions on cutting up the mango, see the discussion above.
- Add all to a large mixing bowl and add the juice of one lime. Mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving if your wife lets you.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour at least before serving.
My Private Notes
- A single recipe is good for smaller households but for parties, use a double recipe.
- A good mango should be firm but not rock hard, and definitely not mushy.
- Roma or plum tomatoes are better for this since they have more "meat".
- Cilantro is optional.
- You can double the mango and eliminate the pineapple. Or double the pineapple and eliminate the mango.
- Do not use canned pineapple.
- Stores well refrigerated for 2 days. On the third day, it starts having texture problems. Freezing is not recommended.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Editor's Note: Originally Published July 4, 2010. Updated with expanded text and instructions along with updated photos.
This Recipe Featured in These Recipe Roundups