These simple Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts are super moist and packed full of amazing flavor! A nice change of pace from the usual BBQ on the grill. Just follow these easy step by step photo instructions.
These juicy and flavorful chicken breast will be your new favorite dinner idea. Pair it with a simple salad or some pasta, and you have a complete eloquent Italian dinner.
Start with some nicely trimmed skinless boneless chicken breasts. Do a brine for tenderness and moisture if you have time.
Add some nice Italian seasoning. Now some careful grilling, and you have a very nice grilling change of pace.
A nice solid 4
🐓 The Chicken
When you pick your chicken breasts, try to get approximately the same size and thickness. If one is significantly thicker, flatten it out some with a meat mallet or bottom of a heavy pan.
These breasts can dry easily on a grill, so a brine is always good if you have time. I suggest a brine of 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons salt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
This brine will work fairly quickly, so about 1 hour is a good time. 30 minutes will do fairly well and probably 2-hour max.
If you use a brine, do not add extra salt.
We not longer rinse chicken ( see Chicken… To Rinse or Not To Rinse? ) except after a brine, the breast should be rinsed.
🇮🇹 Italian Seasoning
You can use dry Italian seasoning. If you brine, please check that you are not adding salt with the seasoning.
I'm a big believer in individual spices and only use mixtures if it is something I use all the time so I can keep it fresh. I don't keep Italian seasoning for that reason. So the recipe includes instructions for individual spices if you don't have the mix.
♨️ The Grill
Grill temperature is very important when cooking skinless boneless chicken breasts. You generally want a surface temperature of about 450° for chicken.
See A Beginners Guide to Grill Temperature on a Gas Grill for more details.
📖 Grilled Chicken Recipes
How to Grill Chicken Breasts on a Gas Grill
Grilled Blackened Chicken Breasts
This recipe is listed in these categories. See them for more similar recipes.
🖼️Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
Trim the chicken breasts. Even out the thickness some with a meat mallet if there is a significant difference.
Optional: Mix brine of 3 cups water, 3 tablespoons table salt, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional). Add chicken and submerge and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Clean and oil grill grates and preheat to a surface temperature of about 450°, which is about medium-high on most grills. I recommend a surface thermometer to be able to control your grill well.
If making your own seasoning, then use equal parts dried basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme. I used 1 tablespoon each and saved the extra in a small airtight container suitable for storage.
Mix oil and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
Pepper lightly on both sides and salt if not brined. Then brush both sides with the oil mixture. Place on grill over direct heat with the grill lid closed.
Flip about every 5 minutes until internal temp is 165°. About 25-30 minutes total on the grill. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Homemade Italian Seasoning (will be almost a tablespoon, enough for this recipe but I make more for later.)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Trim chicken breasts. Even out the thickness some with a meat mallet if there is a significant difference.
- Optional: Mix brine of 3 cups water, 3 tablespoons table salt, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional). Add chicken and submerge and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Clean and oil grill grates and preheat to a surface temperature of about 450°, which is about medium-high on most grills. I recommend a surface thermometer to be able to control your grill well.
- If making your own seasoning, then use equal parts dried basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme. I used 1 tablespoon each and saved the extra in a small airtight container suitable for storage.
- Mix oil and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- Pepper lightly on both sides and salt if not brined. Then brush both sides with the oil mixture. Place on grill over direct heat with the grill lid closed.
- Flip about every 5 minutes until internal temp is 165°. About 25-30 minutes total on the grill. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Your Own Private Notes
- Brining is optional but recommended. If you brine, rinse carefully after and do not add any more salt.
- Try to get approximately the same size and thickness of chicken breasts. If one is significantly thicker, flatten it out some with a meat mallet or bottom of a heavy pan.
- As with all grilled chicken, you need to get the surface temperature correct, or you will have poor results.
- Use the Italian season you want, or I have included a recommended homemade version.
- Grill to 165°, and be sure to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with salad or pasta.
To adjust the recipe size:
You may adjust the number of servings in this recipe card under servings. This does the math for the ingredients for you. BUT it does NOT adjust the text of the instructions. So you need to do that yourself.
© 101 Cooking for Two, LLC. All content and photographs are copyright protected by us or our vendors. While we appreciate your sharing our recipes, please realize copying, pasting, or duplicating full recipes to any social media, website, or electronic/printed media is strictly prohibited and a violation of our copyrights.
Editor's Note: Originally Published July 16, 2010. Updated with expanded options, refreshed photos, and a table of contents to help navigation.
I added a clove of crushed garlic, my husband loved it.
The grilling time seems o be a little long for just 2 boneless breasts, especially at 450* over direct heat. Won’t they burn and dry out?
Dan Mikesell AKA DrDan
Welcome to the blog.
That is about the right cooking time if your grill surface temperature is 450. But there are a lot of variables. Total size and thickness of the breast. The starting temperature of the meat etc. So as always, cook to a final internal temperature of the thickest part of the meat. Never cook by time alone.
If you have smaller/thinner breasts or if you flatten the breast some, that time will decrease by 5 minutes or more.
We purchased this Italian Brand Bruchetta flavor boneless skinless chicken breast from a salesperson that came to our neighborhood in Pearland, Texas several months ago. We really loved it and all the other meat products we bought. He has not been back. We do not have a phone number or address to contact him. Please let us now where we can contact someone to purchase more meat products as soon as possible.
No clue... But try this recipe and make your own.
Really almost any spice recipe works. Just know your grills hot spots and avoid them or turn the heat down and take a little longer
This looks really good.Wonder if I would used my fresh herbs to make this juicy recipe.
I remember using it 20 years ago but I much prefer the make your own method if possible for most recipes.
I'm working on a Jerk recipe and I think I will wimp and reach for the jar. Way more work than I want to do but Italian was simple.
Laugh if you want, but bottled Italian dressing was the first chicken marinade when my buddies and I were 18/19 learning to cook on our own.
But taking your approach is much more tailored to personal tastes! Then again, I didn't have such a nice grill back then either:)